Lead Dungeon Artist, World of Warcraft | Boston, MA
9 days ago
Job Title:Lead Dungeon Artist, World of Warcraft | Boston, MA
As a Lead Dungeon Artist on World of Warcraft, you will create the look of dungeons, cities, raids, and architecture to engage and inspire curiosity in our players. The ideal candidate is a skilled 3D artist with experience in modeling interior and exterior architecture, who creates tastefully stylized art that serves the needs of gameplay, real-time performance metrics, and artistic vision. You are a patient and empathetic communicator and love taking ownership on projects.
This role is anticipated to be a hybrid work position, with some work on-site and some work-from-home. The home studio for this role is Boston, MA.
What you bring to the table
Priorities can often change in a fast-paced environment like ours, so this role includes, but is not limited to, the following responsibilities:
- Be the voice for the Boston Dungeon team to the wider Boston and Irvine teams
- Collaborate with Leads, Art Directors, Concept Artists, Game Designers, and Software Engineers to design and iterate on in-game environment art
- Work in 3D authoring software to prototype and construct architectural assets from rough draft through production quality, including modeling, UV mapping, texturing, and lighting
- Create 2D hand-painted textures (with no photograph overlays)
- Complete technically sound art within agreed-upon production schedules and with minimal direction
- Solicit and apply regular feedback from Leads, Art Director and other collaborators
- Work with performance in mind to ensure that assets meet performance budgets
- Communicate with Producers to maintain clear and consistent goals, and generate and meet time estimates
- Mentor and offer feedback to more junior Dungeon Artists, motivate peers toward excellence
- Incorporate feedback to iterate on project visual direction
- Be a strong force in upholding a welcoming and respectful atmosphere for collaboration, communication, and creativity, with an emphasis on the values of diversity and inclusion
- Extensive experience modeling, texturing, and lighting 3D architectural elements with some leadership or mentorship experience
- Extensive experience creating assets in stylized material pipelines with an understanding of real-time game development needs
- Software experience such as 3ds Max or Maya and Photoshop
- Experience working in a collaborative, iterative, agile environment
- Portfolio examples that show a solid grasp of architecture fundamentals, hand-painted stylized asset creation, navigable spaces, and strong composition
- Understanding of traditional art principles including composition, design, shape language, and color theory
- Can be relied upon to quickly learn new processes and software as needed
- Excited to work together with other artists, improve visual skills, learn new techniques and applicable technology
- Strong communication skills; readily shares knowledge and information with others
- Self-directed, enthusiastic, positive, embraces critiques
- Understands the audience and appreciates games
- Cover Letter
- Link to your portfolio
We love hearing from anyone who is enthusiastic about changing the games industry. Not sure you meet all qualifications? Let us decide! Research shows that women and members of other under-represented groups tend to not apply to jobs when they think they may not meet every qualification, when, in fact, they often do! We are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment and strongly encourage you to apply.
We are committed to working with and providing reasonable assistance to individuals with physical and mental disabilities. If you are a disabled individual requiring an accommodation to apply for an open position, please email your request to email@example.com. General employment questions cannot be accepted or processed here. Thank you for your interest.
At Blizzard Entertainment, we pour our hearts and souls into everything we create. Best known for iconic video game universes including Warcraft, Overwatch, Diablo, and StarCraft, we’ve been creating genre-defining games for millions of players around the world for more than 30 years. We’re on a quest: bring our dreams to life and craft the most epic entertainment experiences…ever. Hard work, iteration and polish go into the Blizzard “secret recipe,” but the most important ingredients come from talented people who share our vision. If that sounds like you, join us.
The videogame industry and therefore our business is fast-paced and will continue to evolve. As such, the duties and responsibilities of this role may be changed as directed by the Company at any time to promote and support our business and relationships with industry partners.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status, among other characteristics.
We provide a comprehensive benefits package to promote health and wellness along with financial security. Subject to eligibility requirements, the Company offers benefits including:
- Medical, dental, vision, health savings account or healthcare spending accounts, dependent care spending accounts, life and AD&D insurance;
- 401(k) with Company match
- Paid holidays and vacation, paid sick time, floating holidays, compassion and bereavement leaves, parental leave;
- Wellness program, free and discounted games, and voluntary supplemental life;
If the Company requires that you move geographic locations for the job, then you may also be eligible for relocation assistance.
Eligibility to participate in these benefits may vary for part time and temporary full-time employees and interns with the Company. You can learn more by visiting our benefits page.In the U.S., the standard base pay range for this role is $116,800.00 - $216,000.00 Annual. This base pay range is for the U.S. and is not applicable to locations outside of the U.S. Actual amounts will vary depending on experience, performance and location. In addition to a competitive base pay, employees in this role may be eligible for incentive compensation. Incentive compensation is not guaranteed.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.