14 days ago
Blackbird Interactive is seeking a passionate and talented Lead Designer for one of our internal IP titles. The Lead Designer will report to the Game Director, and is responsible for designing compelling and accessible game systems for players that are innovative and facilitate the core creative vision of the game. This role directs game features and systems, leads disciplines across the team in achieving those features, and supports the needs of both the internal development team and external partners.
- Maintain a holistic overview of the complete gameplay experience from the Player perspective. Ensure that the team’s design work is in-line with this overview, and make recommendations on areas for improvement.
- Collaborate with designers, artists and coders to expand on and fine-tune the procedural ship generation system, with the goal of maximizing variety and meaningful content creation for Players.
- Conceive, implement, and iterate on a wide range of core game systems, such as Character, Controls, Progression, Economy and Hazards.
- Help drive playtests to gather critical gameplay and game system feedback from players and develop a plan of action to address issues.
- Assist the Game Director in reviewing all game systems and features, as well as full builds of the game, and providing regular feedback to the project leads and development team.
- Act as a liaison between high level intentions and low level implementation, both for design and other disciplines.
- Push for innovative design that improves the player experience while fitting in the scope limitations of an early access framework.
- Assess requirements and provide effort estimates to guide an evolving development plan, working closely with Production and the Game Director to build long-term production plans.
- Establishing quality benchmarks and driving the team in reaching them.
- Overseeing the creation and maintenance of detailed, comprehensive documentation.
- Contributing to the creation and constant improvement of pipelines and processes.
- Work with the Game Director managing the Design team: Establishing tasks, working on individual growth plans, conducting one-on-one discussions.
- Playing an active part in the recruitment of new candidates.
- Will likely be partner/publisher facing and have a presence in PR
- Strong written communication skills and the ability to convey abstract concepts.
- Ability to think logically with a high level of attention to detail.
- 5+ years in a design role.
- The ability to own an entire game feature and work with other discipline groups to carry said feature from concept through to completion.
- Experience with Unity, Unreal or a similar game engine.
- Shipped at least two games.
At Blackbird, we're all about being true to our roots. We started small in our CEO's garage, and even though we're expanding, our desire is to stick to that foundation of creativity, community, and collaboration. Our team has proved that great ideas can come from any position in any discipline, so it's important to us to make sure every voice is heard.
Work/life balance is extremely important to us, and we've demonstrated that over the years by severely limiting over-time requirements. We want people to be happy about coming to work every day, and to that end we offer lots of opportunities for growth and development; whether it's lunch and learns, team events, or our generous vacation days, paid holiday closure and flexible schedules. We also try to provide every opportunity possible for our employees to spearhead R&D initiatives through our BlackOps program. In short, don't expect to feel like a cog in a machine working for BBI.
Due to COVID-19, applicants must be eligible to work in Canada, or currently in Canada on a work permit/visa. With the exception of specifically on-site roles, all roles will commence as a work-from-home arrangement. This arrangement will be revisited as COVID-19 government regulations are eased.
Please send a cover letter with your resume and application. If applying for an artistic role, please provide a link to your portfolio and/or demo reel.
If you are interested in the role, please apply even if your experience and skills don’t perfectly match our ideal credentials. We are committed to diversity and especially encourage members of underrepresented communities to apply. As an equal opportunity employer we encourage applications from all qualified individuals. BBI does not discriminate against applicants based on genders, races, national and ethnic origins, religions, ages, sexual orientation, marital and family status, and/or mental or physical disabilities.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.