Lead Concept Artist
9 days ago
That’s No Moon Entertainment is an independent AAA game development studio established in 2021 by veterans of some of the most recognizable and critically acclaimed creative teams in the world, including Naughty Dog, Infinity Ward, Santa Monica Studio, Bungie, PlayStation, and more. Based in Los Angeles and San Diego, That’s No Moon Entertainment is creating the next generation of narrative-driven, genre-defining experiences built upon a culture of creativity, collaboration, responsible production practices, and individual empowerment. We are assembling a diverse team of passionate developers of a wide range of experience levels and backgrounds to help shape the future of our studio and projects.
We are seeking a Concept Lead with a passion for bringing to life a very realistic world that creates immersive game experience and tells evocative stories. Working in a collaborative team with story, art direction and gameplay you will have the chance to define a new bench march for visual excellence in games. You will lead a team of concept artist responsible for researching, collecting, organizing, and crafting a wide range of visual development from reference and mood boards to storyboards, lighting keys and concept art. With your help we will push the industry to new heights of realism, beauty, gameplay, and storytelling!
- Work with the Art Director and Art Department Leads to research, collect, and organize reference and inspirations
- Collaborate with the Art Director to create concise and insightful visual design docs
- Direct and create initial sketches/thumbnails to explore a range of visual design for the game and world
- Build and lead the development of storyboards and key frames to establish the framing, mood and action for the cinematography, animation, VFX, lighting and story
- Lead the design of all concept art that will bring the world and story to life and inspire the visual development of the entire game.
- Leverage paint overs, ‘redlines’ and call outs of screenshots and 3d renders to facilitate the polishing of the game and game assets.
- Ensure that visual developments faithfully embodies the story, gameplay, and art pillars.
- Collaborate with production to define sustainable concept milestones, schedules and staffing while hitting budgets, quality goals, and dates
- Work at the highest level aesthetically while balancing scope, deadlines, and implementation considerations
- Collaborate with the Art Director and other departments to define, implement, and nurture the initial vision from inception to final in-game lighting and rendering
Requirements & Skills:
- 5+ years of professional games or film concept design
- Shipped a AAA game as a senior or lead artist
- Outstanding portfolio demonstrating the ability to create spectacular and visceral worlds demonstrating the best traditional and technical technique
- Strong traditional drawing and painting fundamentals
- Outstanding grasp of traditional art theory including composition, lighting, color, value, and shape language
- Innate understanding of the organic natural world from plausible geology, and geography to flora and fauna
- Strong grasp on industrial design and a passion for making grounded designs that would function in the real world
- Understanding of contemporary and historical architecture
- Professional experience with Photoshop for sketching, painting, photo bashing, and color grading
- Deep understanding of, and ability to analyze lighting and material properties and their interactions
- Strong understanding of how to develop, implement and execute efficient reference, color keys, and concept management and workflows
- (Bonus) BA in art, architecture, industrial design, or related fields
- (Bonus) Experience with 3D programs such as Maya, ZBrush, Blender, Substance Painter etc
- (Bonus) Knowledge, experience, or interest in using photos, scans and 3D assets in the creation of concept art
- (Bonus) Fluency with character, costume, animal, and creature design
- (Bonus) Experience working with a game engine to manipulate lighting, LUTS and renders passes
- (Bonus) Experience with PBR engines, materials, and the related technical terminology
- Hardworking collaborator seeking to advance art and tech through intra-departmental and multi-discipline partnerships
- Effective team leader and teammate invested in the growth of the concept team through encouragement, inspiration, inclusivity, and mutual respect
- Strong interpersonal skill with a dedication to building a diverse, hardworking, and empathetic team
- Adept at leading by example and motivating a team committed to excellence in design, process, and execution
- Skilled and efficient communicator adapt at providing and receiving constructive feedback & direction across all departments
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
That's No Moon is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ancestry, color, citizenship, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability status, legally protected physical or mental disability, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.