Lead Concept Artist
20 days ago
We build ground-breaking games and content for some of the world’s biggest publishers including Microsoft, Sony, Apple and Sega. Sheffield is our largest studio and headquarters, situated just north-east of the city centre, where we’ve built and contributed to some of the world’s best-loved game franchises.
It’s an exciting time to be part of Sumo, winners of the Develop: Star Awards 2019 Best Studio and GI Biz 2020 Best Places to Work; big things are on the horizon and we want you to be part of our continued journey. Join us!
Sumo Sheffield is made up of a diverse mix of fantastic people, although sometimes, some groups are still under-represented. We are working to remove obstacles that can make it difficult for those groups to progress their careers in the games industry. We welcome applications from under-represented people in the gaming industry, including, but not limited to BAME, LGBQT+, women, people with physical disabilities, neurodiversity or mental health issues, and parents or carers.
The role @ Sumo
Sumo is looking for a highly creative Lead Concept Artist to join their Sheffield studio.
For the position, we are looking for versatility and rapid iteration; the ideal candidates will be keen to embrace every stylistic challenge, – and will have the kind of over-active imagination that never stops coming up with new ways to interpret a given brief or add an unexpected twist of surprise to every concept that comes their way, always striving to deliver excellent concept pieces as required for a project.
Within this role you will:
- This position is purely hands-on creation of concept pieces to drive the direction of a project and help communicate the Project Art Director’s stylistic vision throughout the team.
- Responsible for creating and iterating on ideas whilst maintaining the artistic vision of the Project Art Director.
- Maintaining quality and consistency with the other members of the concept team.
- Fast concept and iteration of ideas across all aspects of the brief.
We need you to have:
- Able to work in multiple artistic styles.
- High levels of aesthetic ability, judgement and eye for detail.
- Excellent composition, lighting and colour theory skills and appreciation.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Self-initiating, confident approach to their work;
- Keen understanding of cultural influences beyond games; movies, books, TV, comics etc.
- Ideas generation and iteration.
- High quality illustrative pieces.
- Demonstrable talent across all concept disciplines, in particular figurative, environment and object work.
We'd also ideally like you to have (although it's not a deal breaker):
- Shipped at least one AAA title.
- 3D modelling and rendering.
- Experience working in film, TV, publishing.
What We Offer:
We offer a super benefits package including generous holidays and flexible working hours. Further perks include our legendary annual Sumo Big Day Out, plus epic Christmas parties, money on your birthday, on site free gym and free fruit for everyone! Our new, regular studio Game Jams are a highlight - staff spend a full day developing and pitching their own game ideas for possible development by Sumo.
Our environment is relaxed, friendly and built upon the basis of every team member having the opportunity to shine and have a realisable input into the games we create. We are a very happy ship with lots of incredibly nice people that partake in shared interest groups, lunchtime clubs, charity fundraising events and lots of socialising.
We are proud to be located in Sheffield, just off J34 of the M1 offering easy road and rail access from Leeds, Manchester and the Midlands. Sheffield itself enjoys wealth of facilities including world class sporting facilities, stunning theatres and galleries, the National Video Game Museum, shopping, restaurants and incredible parks and green spaces - all on the doorstep of the beautiful Peak District National Park. We love it here.