Lead Concept Artist
9 days ago
At Insomniac Games, the Lead Concept Artist is responsible for supervising and maintaining the quality and artistic consistency of the concept department by upholding high visual standards set by the Art Director. This role is the people manager for the Concept Art team. They are responsible for the career management, training, and well-being of concept team, as well as the management of offsite contractors and vendors.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
• Engages and mentors concept artists to ensure team cohesion and helps develop both short and long-term career goals advised by the Department Head
• Manages a stable resource of offsite contractors and outsource vendors
• Participates in the overall planning and scope of the Concept needs for projects
• Works with other departments to ensure that concept assets are delivered in a timely manner
• Maintains a developed eye for industrial and entertainment design across both characters and environments.
• Helps advance and improve concept art quality through reviews of work with a critical, artistic eye
• Works with Project Management to help create and maintain clear and consistent schedules
• Communication with other departments for the purpose of scoping work, understanding needs, and proposing solutions
• Ensures that all complaints and concerns related to inappropriate or unprofessional conduct in the workplace, are addressed immediately to foster a safe work environment
• Other duties may be assigned
• The Lead Concept Artist supervises employees in the concept discipline and is responsible for carrying out duties in accordance with the studio's policies and applicable laws.
• Responsibilities include but are not limited to - interviewing, hiring and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Education and/or Experience:
• Master's degree (M. A.) or equivalent; ten or more years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Mastery of industry standard software packages for creating concept art– Photoshop, Maya, Max, ZBrush.
• Excellent traditional artistic skills with a strong grasp of composition, anatomy, color theory, perspective, lighting, environment, architectural, character, costume and graphic design.
• Possesses the ability to communicate and navigate complex design problems with both an internal and offsite team, as well as excellent time management and prioritization skills.
If you're looking to take the next step in your career and are excited for the opportunity to manage a team of industry leading artists, please consider applying for Insomniac's Lead Concept Artist role today! We're looking forward to reviewing your submission.