Lead Concept Artist
7 days ago
WHO WE ARE
We’re ArenaNet—we’ve created a studio that makes online worlds infused with innovation, hand-crafted excellence, and creative passion. We're not the only ones who share this passion; gamers made Guild Wars 2 the fastest selling MMO game in the West with more than 3 million copies sold in its first 9 months, and players and press have consistently called it one of the best MMOs of all time.
Our studio is built on foundations of excellence with a focus on community. We constantly innovate, unlocking the true potential of online role-playing with game-changing titles like Guild Wars 2 and beyond. The status quo is not good enough for our dedicated worldwide community of players, which is why we question the de facto industry conventions and demand more from ourselves as developers.
As the Concept Art Lead, you will work closely with our Art Director to translate and deliver high quality direction to the concept team. You will be directly responsible for managing the day to day of the Concept Art Team, assigning tasks, providing feedback, having one on ones, working with the AD and Design team to clarify the vision of art assets for both the internal art teams, marketing team, and external outsourcing studios. You will participate in regular review sessions with the various creative teams, leveraging your exceptional artistic ability, to collaborate and continue our tradition of high quality concept art assets that also fulfill the design and narrative goals. You will work with the Art manager to assist in the career growth of the team as well as establish and improve process where and when needed.
The ideal candidate should possess a very high level of ability in both illustration as well as Concepting assets, and will be able to achieve a painterly, illustrative style that Guild Wars is known for. You should be a champion for your discipline and thrive in a highly collaborative environment where all opinions matter. As the Concept Art Lead, you should be comfortable both providing and seeking out feedback from your peers, as well as mentoring and inspiring the concept artists on a regular basis. You need to be a fantastic communicator who can work at a high level, with autonomy, when needed. The right candidate will also be a great team player.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Drives art director’s vision within a sub-discipline by content creation and documentation.
- Can exercise creative and efficient problem solving to push projects forward.
- Will champion and evolve ideas in the art discipline.
- Has excellent communication, interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Works with team to schedule and meet deadlines.
- Will provide mentorship for the concept team by taking action to bring success and personal growth.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED TO BE SUCCESSFUL
- Advanced understanding of anatomy, visual design, light, and color.
- Self-directed, requires little to no guidance beyond art direction and general game direction.
- Actively seeks to evolve skillsets and shows a desire to adapt to/and refine processes within the sub discipline.
- Can demonstrate leadership within a sub-discipline though driving quality, developing pipelines, and improving process.
- Offers constructive feedback to improve the quality withing a sub discipline.
- 5+ years of concept artist experience in a production environment and/or freelance.
- Previous experience in a Lead role.
- Understanding of current 3D software packages such as, Blender, 3D Coat, Zbrush, UE4
- Demonstrate a wide range of styles and techniques in the field of concept art.
- Understands video game concepts and can visualize game play mechanics.