Lead Combat Designer
12 days ago
Crystal Dynamics, a part of the Square Enix family, is constantly on the hunt for top-tier gaming talent worldwide. We pride ourselves on attracting and developing the best talent available to concept, create, and contribute to the most exciting projects in gaming today. 25+ years of history creating fun and exciting titles for the world to enjoy as well as our studio’s 1000+ years of combined game industry experience provides a rich tapestry of tested and new ideas to draw from as has established us as one of the best studios in the world to work for.
Crystal Dynamics is looking for a Lead Combat Designer to own the design, implementation and overall execution of multiplayer action gameplay. This position works hand in hand with Studio Leadership and Directors to create, implement and document all game systems focusing on combat and traversal; with a high level of cross departmental communication and iteration with other disciplines to create exciting ‘AAA’ quality combat experiences.
- Primary focus for this position is on ranged combat control, tuning and balance in a multiplayer environment
- Absolute necessity to be “in the tools”; developing and implementing the multiplayer experience for proof of concept and prototype settings
- Prototype, build, and ultimately own the moment-to-moment combat shooting and traversal experience
- Design, implement and extensively test combat systems for weapons, gear, traversal and player abilities
- Directly manage or coordinate with a mixed discipline team to achieve results
- Work with production and leadership to manage the scope of the game
- Engage and respond with playtest feedback and data to iterate and improve the experience
- Longer term goals include full product development to include management and leadership of other designers and cross discipline team members
Competencies, Skills & Knowledge:
- Previous experience tuning combat systems such aim assists and controller response curves
- Proven experience designing and documenting weapon systems, damage systems and multiplayer combat tuning
- Positive attitude, strong work ethic and the ability to work in a highly collaborative team environment
- Ability to anticipate, prioritize and organize work to meet objectives
- Ability to work independently or with a team structure – including in a remote environment
- Strong cross-departmental communication
- Minimum 8-10 years experience as a Senior or Lead Designer with multiple shipped AAA Titles. Strong preference as a Lead Combat Designer (or other Combat Specialist) on at least 2 shipped AAA titles
- Deep knowledge of both historical and current trends in multiplayer combat design
- Proven experience leading a specialized team of individuals in your field
Crystal Dynamics is an EOE and M/F/D/V/ Employer.