Lead Client Engineer
10 days ago
About Playable Worlds
Playable Worlds is a team of talented and creative game industry professionals working together on a sandbox MMO built for the cloud. Led by Raph Koster (Ultima Online; Star Wars Galaxies) Playable Worlds offers a collaborative and diverse work environment, competitive pay and benefits, and an opportunity to create new kinds of gameplay and experiences in online worlds that feel real and engaging.
All positions at Playable Worlds are currently remote.
This Lead Client Engineer position is responsible for front-end development for a massively multiplayer online game. T his role, leading a small team of Client Engineers, will be focused on high-level client architecture tasks for the development of gameplay, core platform, and tools technology. This individual should be self-motivated, inquisitive and excited to tackle interesting technical challenges that have not been attempted in massively multiplayer online games.
The salary range for this position is $190,000 to $240,000 annually.
Essential Job Functions
- Mentor and manage a team of client and tools engineers.
- Maintain a hands-on approach, being directly involved in implementation work.
- Define complexity and scope of work related to on-going sprints on assigned projects.
- Develop game client code in areas including animation, audio, character controllers, graphics, input management, physics, special effects, and user interface.
- Implement tools and pipelines that enable non-engineers, such as artists and game designers, to implement new game content.
- Participate in multiple phases of a feature’s lifecycle, from design to implementation to testing and maintenance, while working on multidisciplinary feature teams.
- Perform pull-requests and other peer reviews of submitted code.
- Maintain high standards for best practices, clean architecture, and reliable, performant code.
- Experience level: At least 5 years of professional experience using C# and Unity to make production-ready, scalable software.
- Education level: Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or a related field, or equivalent experience.
- Strong experience with Unity, particularly around player controllers and inputs, art pipelines, rendering, physics, and client/server replication.
- Experience with client/server architectures and multiplayer network technologies.
- Ability to think of creative and efficient solutions to challenging problems that haven't been encountered before in a game.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills to directly support Artists, Designers, Producers, and other Engineers.
- Ability to prioritize a variety of tasks in a manner that enables timely completion.
Bonus Points for Any of These
- A passion for video games.
- Have shipped at least one commercial game title on PC, console, or similar AAA platform.
- Experience with asset streaming concepts and methods
- Experience with cloud platforms such as AWS and GCP
- Experience with Entity-Component-Systems based architectures such as DOTS is a considerable plus
- Have worked to integrate and manage telemetry and metrics/analytics software.
- Familiarity with massive multiplayer online game development and production cycles, including the development of internal world-building tools.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
- Playable Worlds is headquartered in San Marcos, California. All positions are currently remote.