Lead Gameplay Programmer
10 days ago
Lead Gameplay Programmer | Engineering | London | Permanent
We’re Hutch, a mobile games developer & publisher with studios in central London, Dundee and Canada. Our mission is to build the most diverse and engaged automotive gaming community on mobile. Our games have been played by over 280 million people, with new titles in development.
We believe in putting our people first. Here you can make games without sacrificing quality time with family and friends. We strive to ensure our people are happy and healthy.
Our teams are small and empowered, they have the independence to take on creative and technical challenges together, to work collaboratively, to make great games and have fun along the way.
We believe in: Looking after our people, small empowered teams, complete transparency, test, learn repeat, community at the core and the freedom to focus on what truly makes a difference to our players.
We’re driven by our players! Come and join the mission!
Lead Gameplay Programmer
Hutch are looking for a Lead Gameplay Programmer to join the team in our Central London studio. You will be leading the gameplay team of one of our successful games within a cross-functional game team.
Collaborating with designers, artists and other programmers across the studio, you will work in a fast paced and iterative environment working on challenges and problems around making, releasing and maintaining a successful mobile game.
This role would suit someone who would like a lot of impact and autonomy, that likes being involved in the decision making process and someone who enjoys working quickly in an agile development environment.
We look for people who want to bring their own ideas to the team who want to work across multiple areas and who enjoy the freedom and responsibility of the team owning their own decisions.
- Leading development across a variety of tasks related to game programming Including; gameplay, player controls, game simulation behaviours, AI, meta-game behaviour, user interface, visual effects, audio effects, analytics hooks, and social features
- Guide a team of gameplay programmers, using your experience and insight to give them support into how best to build new features, improve team synergy and develop their skills.
- Designing and writing code in a maintainable and easily updatable manner, ready for post-launch updates in response to customer feedback, and maintaining this ethos across the development team
- Writing tools where necessary to empower artists and designers to make the game as much as possible, and providing mentoring and support to other programmers from junior to senior level
- Have overall responsibility for the stability, architecture and runtime performance of the game
- Be actively involved in design discussions, team resourcing decisions and prototyping
- Excellent technical design and code skills in C#
- Proven commercial Unity games development experience, preferably in mobile games but console or PC also considered
- At least 3 commercial titles developed in Unity from start to release, having gone through a full QA cycle, and preferably beyond post-release support developing updates or DLC
- Previous experience leading and/or mentoring junior, intermediate and senior programmers
- A passion/interest for making mobile games and exploring new approaches to development within the Free to Play field
- A proactive mindset, with a desire to have a big impact, anticipate requirements and issues and take ownership for your work
- A natural trait for leading, with a passion for supporting and bringing out the best in people around you
- Experience building or working on synchronous multiplayer experiences in Unity
- Experience working with .NET applications in Docker or VM environments
- Experience with test-driven development and unit testing
Life at Hutch
Our HQ is in the heart of Shoreditch, central London. We're an agile, creative team with people at the core of our values. We reward our employees with:
- Enhanced Maternity (18 weeks) and Paternity leave (6 weeks)
- Flexible working hours
- Remote working 3 days per week
- 4 day work week (30 hours/week)*
- Excellent salaries
- Stock Options
- Private health care
- Access to mental health initiates such as private mental health coaching
- Support to learn, develop and progress within Hutch
- Free snacks and drinks
- Lots of social events, game launch parties, Friday night drinks and much more
*from June - December 2022, Hutch will be trialing a 4 day working week.
We value diversity and as an equal opportunity employer, we encourage applications from all suitable applicants. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
Come and find out more about Hutch. We make racing games, but it’s not the only thing that drives us - https://www.hutch.io/
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.