Lead Cinematic Artist
London, United Kingdom
16 days ago
About Splash Damage
Come join us!
We founded Splash Damage with a mission to create lifelong friendships for our players and our employees by building the world’s most engaging multiplayer experiences with world-leading partners. Our teams have just celebrated the launch of Gears Tactics and we’re currently working on several exciting unannounced titles.
Our people always come first, and we acted swiftly to ensure that we moved all our employees to a work from home model during the COVID-19 outbreak in the UK, and this will continue for the foreseeable future. With our first-class virtual onboarding programme, we’re able to get you up and running remotely during this time and we’re maintaining our relaxed and welcoming culture with digital social events, daily company communications and much more. With the relaxing of travel and quarantine restrictions in the UK, we are now relocating new team members from outside the UK to London prior to starting their employment with us. This gives new Splashers the opportunity to establish a home in the local area, before joining their teams in working remotely until such time as we return to the studio. We will continue to monitor the situation in line with government advice, and look forward to having all of our amazing staff back into the studio as soon as it is safe to do so.
We're advocates for work-life balance and offer flexible working arrangements to suit individual needs and a comprehensive benefits package which focuses on family and mental well-being. Together with this we’ve been running a formal Equality, Diversity and Inclusion programme for nearly two years and are committed to increasing diversity across our studio.
Splash Damage is looking for a talented Lead Cinematic Artist who will be responsible for overseeing all phases of cinematic production. At a creative level, this role requires someone to deliver a strong vision in collaboration with the project's narrative team and translate those ideas into high quality scripted moments and interactive elements.
The Lead Cinematic Artist will be also be responsible for the management, growth, and mentoring of the project's Cinematic team members. The ideal candidate is not only artistically and technically adept, but capable of clear communication and collaboration with other sub-disciplines and the wider development team.
The candidate will have to:
- Develop, direct, and carry the cinematic creative vision for the project
- Construct in-game cinematic sequences across all disciplines including - narrative, storyboarding, animatic, previz, blocking, casting, voice direction, animation, editing, cinematography, lighting, VFX, audio.
- Excellent understanding of cinematic storytelling, pacing, and character development in an interactive medium.
- Well versed in a variety of cinematic presentation styles and up to date with the latest cinematic techniques and innovations.
- Help establish and drive the pipelines, processes and methods necessary to take a cinematic from script through to final rendered in real-time.
- Maintaining consistent quality, style and continuity, both visually and technically throughout the project
- Direct motion capture and performance capture sessions.
- Ensuring a productive internal workflow and beneficial relationships with external partners
- Prioritizing and managing tasks to ensure that deliverables are completed on time and to specifications through stand-ups and synchronization meetings to communicate vision and needs with other teams
- Creation and maintenance of a prospering work culture within the team along with performance feedback and regular 1:1 conversation’s with the cinematic team.
- Liaise with other disciplines to resolve any technical difficulties and push project quality
Essential Skills and Experience
- Minimum of 3 published games with at least one AAA title in said role or equivalent
- Experience in leading a team and the development of high-quality AAA cinematic art
- Previous game or film experience working on action-oriented sequences and cut scenes.
- Previous experience of working with performance capture data and applying it to cinematic sequences.
- Cinematography experience, focusing in scene composition, pacing and editing
- Self-motivated, good communication skills, and a great team-player attitude
- Ability to give and receive feedback and adapt to visual direction
- Working knowledge of MotionBuilder, Maya or other equivalent 3D program
Preferred Skills and Experience
Splash Damage is an equal opportunity employer. We believe our teams create better work when they have a range of perspectives to draw from, and we are committed to creating an inclusive working environment that celebrates diversity.
- Great working knowledge of UE4 cinematic tools or equivalent tech
- Technical problem solving
- Create high quality animations for characters, facial, props and vehicles for cinematics.
- You understand how gameplay and cinematic content interact with each other (transition in and out)
- Previous work with external partners and vendors.