This job might no longer be available.
1 month ago
As a Lead Character Modeler at Ubi Quebec, you'll guide the creation of the characters players will interact and connect with. You’ll oversee and support a talented team of character modelers in transforming concept designs into the defining people, creatures, and animals that live within our worlds.
You’re a well-rounded team ambassador: an expert communicator, collaboration encourager, and not to mention a skilled artist. You understand the character creation process along with its (at times, many) technical and artistic constraints. You’re able to step in to coach your team, find solutions to setbacks, and deliver feedback with confidence.
What you’ll do
- Collaborate with other art leads and the art director to discuss and develop the game vision.
- Coordinate and motivate character modelers as they develop and polish their character art throughout the 3D pipeline.
- Organize and run regular team meetings to assign tasks, establish priorities, discuss progress, etc.
- Balance artistic aspects with technical constraints, maintaining quality and performance standards (poly count, memory, etc.).
- Review integrated work, ensuring it’s aligned with the artistic direction and can animate well.
- Provide mentorship and constructive feedback to develop a consistent, quality visual style.
- Stay up to date on best practices to keep up with the industry.
- Participate in recruitment to build and grow your character modeling team.
What you bring
- A degree in 3D Modeling, Fine Art, or equivalent.
- Around 5 years of experience in modeling, texturing, or other relevant experience (leadership, a plus).
- Knowledge of 2D art tools (e.g. Photoshop) and 3D software (3DS Max, Maya, Substance Painter, Marvelous Designer, and ZBrush) *
- Solid understanding of topology, materials, textures, proportion, and anatomy + animation and game limitations.
- Excellent mentorship, communication, organization, time management, interpersonal, and presentation skills.
- Flexibility and a whole lot of resourcefulness.
- A highly collaborative, creative, and empathetic spirit.
- A super sharp, trained eye for detail.
* Knowledge of project management software (e.g. Jira), 3D scanning, and optimization techniques = very nice to have.
What to send our way
- Your CV, highlighting your education, experience, skills, and any games shipped.
- A portfolio of your best 3D work (attach images or send us a link to your personal website or online portfolio).
Have access to benefits that make a real difference in your day-to-day life :
- A hybrid and flexible work mode, 6 weeks of vacation in your first year, an enriched parental leave, a Ubi gym directly in our offices, a complete group insurance program, access to complete Dialogue telemedicine services, an RRSP with a contribution from Ubisoft, an advantageous bonus program, concrete measures to ensure the right to disconnect, the option of working part-time and much more. Click here for all the details.
- Joining a team of 21,000 Ubisoft employees working across more than 40 locations around the world, are boundby a common mission to enrich players’ lives with original and memorable gaming experiences. Their dedication and talent have brought to life many acclaimed franchises such as Assassin's Creed, Far Cry, Watch Dogs, Just Dance, Rainbow Six, and many more to come;
- Working for an equal opportunity employer who believes that diversity of backgrounds and perspectives is essential to creating worlds where gamers and their teams can thrive and express themselves. It's about taking on exciting challenges, being at the forefront of cutting-edge technology and being part of the future of entertainment.
*Please note that the response time and analysis of applications will be longer from December 20, 2021 to January 17, 2022 due to the holidays. Please be assured that your application will be considered and that a member of the recruitment team will contact you as soon as possible. Thank you and happy holidays.
With a team of more than 500 talented, innovative and passionate creators, Ubisoft Quebec keeps on growing and continues its ascension. Founded in 2005, the studio has been involved in several key Ubisoft franchises over the years, developing cutting-edge expertise in major AAA game development. Involved in the Assassin's Creed franchise since 2010, the Quebec team assumed the leadership of Assassin's Creed Odyssey and they have just finished working on a brand new game, Immortals Fenyx Rising.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.