Lead Blendshape Artist
15 days ago
PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Lead Blendshape Artist
Los Angeles, CA
It is preferred this position be onsite in San Diego or Los Angeles once we return to the studio, but for the right candidate the team is open to this position being fully remote from anywhere in the USA, Canada and UK.
PlayStation’s Visual Arts Group on our San Diego campus provides world-class content, development and services to Worldwide Studios. Our team is always at the cutting edge of technology and partners with the industry’s best minds and companies!
We are looking for a Lead Blendshape Artist/Facial Modeler to come aboard and work in conjunction with our riggers, the Animation Supervisor and the Character Supervisor to bring highly-realistic faces to life for both cinematic and in-game sequences. You will work with our multi-award winning team while working with AAA Worldwide Studios like Naughty Dog, Santa Monica Studio, San Diego Studio, Guerrilla Games, and more!
If you're someone who pays attention to detail, has an eye for minute differences in facial movements, and one of "those" artists comfortable making facial expressions in the mirror... We want to talk to you!
- Our Lead Blendshape Artist will make the final tweaks to the topology edge-flow and determine the final positioning and refinement to key assets such as eyes, teeth, tongue and eyelashes.
- When the model face is finalized you will sculpt a full array of naturalistic FACs and corrective blendshapes for expressive photorealistic humans.
- Sculpting a series of high-resolution wrinkle maps to add a final level of polish and nuance to the expressions.
- Work closely with the external clients, internal artists and external clients to keep quality and style consistent across all characters.
- Create and lead others in the creation of photo-realistic humans, with particular attention to advanced facial modeling and expression modeling.
- Lead and mentor both internal character teams and outsourcing partners to reach aesthetic and technical goals.
- Document and communicate requirements, and provide feedback.
- Constantly and proactively seek to improve the production processes, tools and pipelines for character creation, rigging and animation and rendering.
- 7+ years of professional character art experience in high-end 3D games and/or films with at least 3 published titles or movies.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent.
- Solid grasp of realistic human anatomy with special emphasis on the head/face.
- Capable of isolating different expressions/actions in the face.
- The ability to grasp technical concepts at least from a broad perspective and follow technical workflows while pushing artistic limit.
- Self-manage and keep track of progress and troubleshoot technical issues with Maya.
- Brainstorm ideas that keep in mind the overall goals of the project.
- Experience with facial blend shape workflows on realistic humans
- Expert understanding of human anatomy
- Versed in Facial Action Coding System
- Experience with Blendshape Combination System
- Experience with Perforce
- Excellent understanding of Maya and use of blend shapes
- Experience with facial rigging of any kind (examples required)
- Experienced with sculpting in Zbrush, Mudbox etc. (examples required)
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
Reasonable Accommodation Notice Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.
PRIVACY NOTICE TO SIE LLC’S JOB APPLICANTS
This Privacy Notice explains what personal information we at Sony Interactive Entertainment LLC collect from you, and why we collect it and use it. This Notice covers our practices regarding the personal information of all applicants to our job positions. Please review it carefully.
Categories of personal information we collect from you
We collect personal information about you throughout the recruiting process, in particular the following categories. Generally, we obtain this information through our Recruiting Team:
A. Identification and contact information
- Direct identifiers such as your first and last name.
- Indirect identifiers such as a government ID, your Social Security, work permit or passport #.
- Contact information such as your email address, mailing address, telephone number.
B. Other information about you or that can be associated with you such as:
- Sensitive/Protected Data. During the recruitment process, you may (voluntarily) provide us with your ethnicity, gender, military service information, or physical or mental health information, as well as your national origin and citizenship.
- Professional or job position-related information , including your past professional experience, references; background verification; talent management and assessment; information regarding any conflicts of interests; and the terms and conditions of your job offer.
- Non-public education information , including information about your education records, such as grades and transcripts.