Backend Engineering Manager
5 months ago
What makes us Epic?
At the core of Epic’s success are talented, passionate people. Epic prides itself on creating a collaborative, welcoming, and creative environment. Whether it’s building award-winning games or crafting engine technology that enables others to make visually stunning interactive experiences, we’re always innovating.
Being Epic means being a part of a team that continually strives to do right by our community and users. We’re constantly innovating to raise the bar of engine and game development.
Engineering at Epic
What we do
We're working to craft social experiences at Fortnite scale, and want to make sure our tools and architecture can help us build even more ambitious and quality platforms and features. The team has been working on unique social networks, from Fortnite’s PartyHub experience to Houseparty’s Group Video Chat.
What you’ll do
We’re looking for a solution-oriented engineer Manager to mentor and grow a team of highly skilled engineers toward building our scalable social gaming platforms. The team is responsible for inventing, building, iterating and tying up the intricate web of the social backend services that are the cornerstones of our social capabilities leading up to the Metaverse.
In this role, you will
- Craft highly available, high throughput, low latency social services at scale
- Work with synchronous services and asynchronous services, persistent connection services, and a variety of other systems
- Collaborate with peers and other elements of the organization to deliver highly functioning services and products
- Participate in the leadership forum of the social organization to inform and affect decision making, balancing between business-oriented goals and technical goals
- Assess technical challenges, craft scalable architectures, and run with implementations
- Run, troubleshoot, and deploy your own services
What we’re looking for
- Leadership experience; growing engineers, making them collaborate and execute on a shared vision.
- Proficient experience developing production-quality backend systems
- JVM experience (we mainly use Scala)
- Experience managing cloud services at scale (we mainly use AWS)
- Service ownership experience (we use Kubernetes, Terraform)
- Experience with SQL and nonrelational databases (we use Dynamo, Redis, Postgres)
- Someone who is user-focused, passionate, scrappy, solutions-focused, and innovative. These traits equal success at Epic and influence everything we do.
- Nice to have: Experience with Websockets or other server push models, search engines, graph databases
Epic Job + Epic Benefits = Epic Life
Our intent is to cover all things that are medically necessary and improve the quality of life. We pay 100% of the premiums for both you and your dependents. We offer coverage for Medical, Dental, Vision HRA, Long Term Disability, AD&D and Life Insurance, 401k.
All Epic employees enjoy drinks, snacks, and lunches every day, free of charge - and we offer plenty of annual celebrations for employees and family members to show the love for our people. Additionally, each year, we celebrate the Epic family with company-wide paid breaks, generous paid time off, and recognize individuals for 7 years of employment with a paid sabbatical - we think our people are pretty awesome!
Like what you hear? Come be a part of something Epic!
Epic Games deeply values diverse teams and an inclusive work culture, and we are proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. Learn more about our Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Policy here.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.