Lead Backend Developer
20 days ago
Job Title:Lead Backend Developer
This is an exceptionally exciting time to be at Activision, a period of phenomenal change and ambition throughout the organization! Activision Central Tech (or "CT") is a global, multi-disciplinary team dedicated to supporting the technological needs of our games. We work alongside Activision studios around the world to build the most compelling entertainment experiences ever seen.
Activision is searching for a Lead Backend Developer to join its CT group based in Manchester. This is a full-time permanent position, learning and working in a friendly and inclusive environment alongside some of the best game creators in the world. You will help us craft the next generation of the massively successful Call of Duty® series of games.
- Research, design and build new services that support the development of Call of Duty.
- There is scope to work on a wide range of services, from build services, testing, monitoring and logging to asset conversion, caching and analytics
- Debugging, profiling and troubleshooting existing systems and services
- Engage and co-develop with large geographically distributed teams
- Mentoring and supporting junior engineers.
What does the future hold for game tech? We need you to help us find out!
- A degree in Computer Science or a related field, or equivalent experience.
- 6+ years’ experience working as an engineer developing backend services
- At least 5 years of experience of either Python or C++
Skills & Attributes
Our ideal candidate for this role would possess the following skills and attributes:
- 6+ years of experience with building, deploying and scaling backend services
- Skilled at diagnosing and fixing problems, and eager to help other engineers if necessary
- Good base knowledge of algorithms and software architecture
- Capable and eager to take the leading role in certain projects.
- Creative, motivated, focused, and results oriented with a passion for games and technology.
- An understanding of technologies such as Nginx, MySQL, Redis, ElasticSearch, Prometheus, Docker, Kubernetes, AWS, GCP
These are not firm requirements, but we would be especially interested in talking to anyone with:
- Experience in relevant areas of code, including build systems, build automation, test automation, distributed processing, asset conversion pipelines
- Previous games industry experience a plus
- Experience with people management a plus
We love hearing from anyone who is enthusiastic about changing the games industry. Not sure you meet all qualifications? Let us decide! Research shows that women and members of other under-represented groups tend to not apply to jobs when they think they may not meet every qualification, when, in fact, they often do! At Activision Blizzard, we are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment and strongly encourage you to apply.
What we offer
- A friendly, international team of game technology experts ready to guide and support you.
- A healthy work-life balance. We create our best work when our free time is valued and respected.
- Access to counselling services and mental health support through our wellness programs such as
- AbleTo and our Employee Assistance Program.
- Generous benefits package including pension contributions, health insurance and bonuses.
- Comprehensive relocation support.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
We love hearing from anyone who is talented and enthusiastic about changing the games industry. Activision is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for this role regardless of gender, gender identity, gender expression, race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or whether they are parents, carers, a person with disabilities or any person protected by applicable
If you need reasonable adjustments at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know. Lastly, in your application please feel free to let us know which pronouns you use.