Lead Audio Designer
2 months ago
Blackbird Interactive is looking for a creative and talented Lead to join one of our teams. We are deeply passionate about audio, from sound effects, to speech, to music, and we know how such a small piece of the overall effort can have such a dramatic impact on the ability for our games to stir your soul.
The role we are seeking to fill is a leadership position on a AAA third-person action strategy game. This project has recently started, and you will be the first audio hire for the project. You will work with the other project and studio leadership to establish the audio vision, build the team, and deliver a fantastic finished project.
- Establish and communicate the audio vision, in conjunction with the Game Director
- Manage the day-to-day operation of the project’s audio team
- Ensure that the vision for the project is being met
- Be hands-on and involved with audio feature design, content creation, and implementation
- Work with audio programmers to realize the audio features needed for the project
- Submit final audio files on or before required deadlines
- Do quality control review for the project’s audio (pre-CQC) on all applicable platforms
- Inspire and support team members, and accept personal responsibility for the project deliverables
- Monitor deliverable progress, manage assigned scope and requested changes, meet commitments, follow up, and be on time
- Worked on at least three large scale, cross platform titles
- Shipped a game project from start to finish as an Audio Lead or equivalent
- Strong sound design and implementation skills
- Experience handling speech end-to-end on a video game project, including everything from ensuring all writing is taking place, working with a database to track files, attending and directing English VO sessions, plus working with external localization parties on submitting content for translation and dealing with recorded assets in other languages
- Experience using Wwise or Fmod
- Completely comfortable with modern audio gear, software, and recording techniques, with a high level of proficiency in at least one DAW
- Solid knowledge of PC and Mac hardware and software
- Strong communication skills
- Good creative and technical thinker
- Work well as part of a team
- 6+ years of proven gameplay development
- Multiple shipped products, preferably 3rd person action or Strategy
- Interest in science fiction and fantasy settings and stories
- Demonstrated passion for entertainment products / media (i.e. comics, movies, novels, etc.).
At Blackbird, we're all about being true to our roots. We started small in our CEO's garage, and even though we're expanding, our desire is to stick to that foundation of creativity, community, and collaboration. Our team has proved that great ideas can come from any position in any discipline, so it's important to us to make sure every voice is heard.
Work/life balance is extremely important to us, and we've demonstrated that over the years by severely limiting over-time requirements. We want people to be happy about coming to work every day, and to that end we offer lots of opportunities for growth and development; whether it's lunch and learns, team events, or our generous vacation days, paid holiday closure and flexible schedules. We also try to provide every opportunity possible for our employees to spearhead R&D initiatives through our BlackOps program. In short, don't expect to feel like a cog in a machine working for BBI.
Due to COVID-19, applicants must be eligible to work in Canada, or currently in Canada on a work permit/visa. With the exception of specifically on-site roles, all roles will commence as a work-from-home arrangement. This arrangement will be revisited as COVID-19 government regulations are eased.
Please send a cover letter with your resume and application. If applying for an artistic role, please provide a link to your portfolio and/or demo reel.
If you are interested in the role, please apply even if your experience and skills don’t perfectly match our ideal credentials. We are committed to diversity and especially encourage members of underrepresented communities to apply. As an equal opportunity employer we encourage applications from all qualified individuals. BBI does not discriminate against applicants based on genders, races, national and ethnic origins, religions, ages, sexual orientation, marital and family status, and/or mental or physical disabilities.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.