18 days ago
Founded in early 2019, Sumo Leamington is a member of the award-winning Sumo Digital family. We’re one of Sumo’s nine game development studios located across the UK and India, and our goal is to build and grow an industry-leading team here in Royal Leamington Spa.
Managed by industry veterans with ground-breaking titles under their belts, the studio needs to hire the right colleagues to meet our exciting objectives. Whether you’re an industry veteran or straight out of university, we could have a career-defining role for you. If you want to create great games that people will play for years to come, and be there at the beginning of something we know will be truly special, join our team. We look forward to speaking with you!
It’s an exciting time to be part of Sumo Leamington, winners of the Develop: Star Awards 2019 Best Studio and GI Biz 2020 Best Places to Work: Diversity Award; big things are on the horizon and we want you to be part of our continued journey. Join us!
Sumo Leamington is made up of a diverse mix of fantastic people, although sometimes, some groups are still under-represented. We are working to remove obstacles that can make it difficult for those groups to progress their careers in the games industry. We welcome applications from under-represented people in the gaming industry, including, but not limited to BAME, LGBQT+, women, people with physical disabilities, neurodiversity or mental health issues, and parents or carers.
The role @ Sumo
We are looking for an extremely talented and highly motivated Lead Artist to join us at Sumo Leamington.
What's the role?
- Work with Art Director to establish visual style and benchmarks, then communicate this to the team through guidance, documentation and feedback.
- Day to day management of the art team, planning work for milestones and ensuring work is delivered to quality and on time.
- Working with code and design developing features and problem solving.
- Establishing and maintaining workflows suitable for the target platform and ensuring all work conforms to this.
- Assisting in the communication with our partners as required.
- Supporting the development of artists in the team.
To be successful you will have:
- Talent for mobile-focused development to create low-polygon models and textures. An expert of all aspects of 3D packages (Maya preferred, 3DsMax) including some knowledge of animation pipelines.
- Ability to create textures to achieve a variety of style including hand-painted, photorealism or vectors as well as imparting that knowledge to your teammates.
- A keen interest in UI development and UX for mobile devices.
- Expert in Unity game engine when used in a mobile environment and performance constraints of modern mobile devices. (Knowledge of Unreal UE4 engine a bonus).
- A deep understanding of lighting, shaders and visual effects.
As part of the Sumo Digital family, we’re able to offer a super benefits package including generous holidays and flexible working hours. Further perks include our legendary annual Sumo Big Day Out, plus epic Christmas parties, vouchers on your birthday and free fruit for everyone! Our new, regular studio Game Jams are a highlight - staff spend a full day developing and pitching their own game ideas for possible development by Sumo (this led to the recently released Snake Pass, so it’s a genuine commitment to allowing staff to pitch ideas upwards to the highest levels).
Our environment is relaxed, friendly and built upon the basis of every team member having the opportunity to shine and have a realisable input into the games we create. We’re in the amazing position of building a brand new team, and creating a studio culture that’s all about passion, respect, diversity, fun and togetherness. We’re looking for people that love what they do and love to share their enthusiasm with each other.