This job might no longer be available.
16 days ago
At Rovio Toronto we are a small (and mighty!) team of passionate gamers. We have a knack for working with high profile brands and taking them to new heights in highly enjoyable and fresh games. Our current focus is mobile with aspirations to explore other platforms in the mid/long term as we recognize new opportunities in our constantly evolving market. Our human-scale keeps us nimble and means that everyone has a meaningful part to play.
We value transparency and candour, empowering each other to do our best work and achieve true work/life balance. Our hybrid work model allows for flexibility while still maintaining a strong sense of community.
Join us and help us build a culture of trust, passion, and innovation!
We are looking for a Lead Artist to join our Toronto team. In this role you will lead a team of artists and work with the other disciplines in the studio to build the next unannounced Angry Birds hit. In our small and nimble team you will get the chance to meaningfully contribute not only to making games but also to how we make these games. With your strong art background you are gameplay-oriented and ready to bring in your own unique perspective and skills.
You will have impact and fun at work by doing:
- Define and own the art vision for the project; make sure that vision is understood and followed by the artists on the team
- Help recruit and lead the team of artists for the project
- Work with production and design to scope and execute all art assets for the project
- Aim high - make sure our project is one of the best looking games on the market on par with other Rovio games
- Provide art guidelines to our internal and external partners to ensure art style consistency
- Help and work closely with a UI/UX artist to achieve a fluid UX experience using your understanding of UI flow and game features
- Strong Unity skills to work seamlessly with the rest of the team
- Mentor and coach the artists on your team, motivate them and challenge their creativity as well as production quality
Experience and skills we are looking for:
- 5+ years in the gaming industry, ideally mobile
- Technically knowledgeable - Understanding the technical pipeline and the implication of art decisions
- Expertise with Photoshop and/or Illustrator, including a well-developed sense of colour and composition
- Expertise in at least one 3D modelling package
- Ability to create both inspiring concepts as well as final game assets
- Prior experience working on Unity game projects
- Great interpersonal skills with the ability to collaborate with other team members and work through challenges together
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in English
We’d love if you have some of these:
- Strong conceptualization ability, visual communication ability and drawing skills
- First meeting: you will have a first chat with our TA partner. The aim is for us to know who you are, what your experience has been and what motivates you.
- Second meeting: you will meet with the Studio Design Director and the Game Lead with whom you will dive deeper into your skills, your ambitions and where we can help you grow.
- Third meeting: you will be invited to meet the Studio Head. Our aim is to get a clear overview of your skills, how you would fit with our working culture.
We welcome applicants to use the name they want to be addressed by in the application form, regardless of whether it is their legal name. At Rovio, we are also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities or special needs in our working environment and job application procedures. We make all reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities or who otherwise need support to thrive in the workplace. We are committed to continuously improving workplace accessibility. If you have any questions before applying, please write to us at email@example.com .
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.