Lead AI Gameplay Programmer
17 days ago
Are you a senior programmer looking for your first leadership position, or an engineering lead who wants to manage a small team and make direct code contributions? Insomniac Games is looking for a Lead Programmer for a team working on AI and combat systems for an exciting AAA game. This job is a blend of direct technical contribution and team management, balancing programming work in the combat/AI realm with managing, mentoring, and caring for the well-being of your team members. You don't have to have any people management experience to apply (we will teach you!), however, you should have displayed technical leadership in some form. If this sounds like you, read on!
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Lead a small team of programmers to develop AI systems
- Contribute to developing the vision, architectural design, and planning for Insomniac's current and future AI systems
- Provide technical and creative direction and feedback to team
- Contribute code in C++, though never at the expense of non-technical responsibilities
- Provide coaching, performance evaluation, and career development support and opportunities for team members
- Plan, organize, monitor, and evaluate your team's work
- Work closely with other departments such as Design, Creative, and Project Management to:
- Provide technical, scheduling, and creative feedback on the game your team is supporting
- Help develop project goals
- Communicate technical requirements and limitations
- Ensure a balanced team schedule that meets project goals in a timely manner
- Participate in the hiring and onboarding of new employees
- Collaborate with Insomniac studio leadership to support studio cultural values and foster a positive work environment
- Other duties may be assigned
This individual will supervise a team of managers across multiple studio locations and is responsible for carrying out duties in accordance with the studio's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include but are not limited to interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning and directing work; appraising performance; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Education and/or Experience:
- 7-10 years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Strong skills in C++ and 3D math
- Familiarity with AI game systems (path navigation, behavior trees, bots, etc.)
- Ability to provide vision and architecture for game systems
- Strong game design sensibilities and interest in crafting a great player experience
- Demonstrated technical leadership of any kind
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience working on AI and/or combat systems in AAA games is a plus
- Experience scheduling, scoping, and/or distributing technical work a plus
- Previous experience leading a team a plus
We look forward to hearing from you – please use the link below. Thanks!
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.