Junior Software Engineer Co-op - Sept 2021 | Halo
7 days ago
Build amazing experiences in Halo Infinite , connect players across platforms in Minecraft , unleash your creativity on original IP or think strategy with Magic: The Gathering Arena . SkyBox Labs is a game development studio that works on some of the world’s most iconic games. Our current projects include working as a co-developer on Halo Infinite , projects in the Minecraft Universe , supporting the development of Magic: The Gathering Arena , and original title, Stela . As one of Vancouver’s fastest-growing game studios, since our inception in 2011, SkyBox Labs has evolved from a group of 8 people developing independent projects to a team of over 200 engineers, artists, designers, producers, and more.
This role is reserved for a student looking for a 4-month co-op or internship starting in September 2021.
Come work on legendary Halo Infinite and become a key member on the Forge team! Forge is a game mode within Halo where players can build their own maps and modes. For you to become a member of this team, you’ll demonstrate excellent C++ knowledge and a hunger for working in game development.
This role will be both challenging and incredibly rewarding, allowing you to expand your skills in software and game development while having a front row seat on Halo Infinite, one of the biggest names in the industry! You will also have the opportunity to join in on all our learning initiatives and studio events, which will expose you to all of our game teams and give you inside knowledge into what it's like to develop games of all different scopes.
- Use C++ to work on user interface and system-level features that will provide robust workflows for our players
- Collaborate with a team to help build new game features
- Collaborate with designers, production and software engineers to run development features
- Execute on software development tasks independently, but still know when to ask for help
- Identify and solve performance issues
- Push the boundaries of what you know by learning new technologies and systems to meet our technical and business needs
- 1+ year of personal or educational game development experience (we love to see your projects!)
- Fluency in C++
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- A commitment to self-direction, collaboration and constant improvement
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic work environment
- A passion for games!
- Must be nearing completion of your academics studies, with less than three semesters left before graduation
Please note, only those who share a Github account or similar repository will be considered as an applicant. Priority will be given to upper year students.
A Culture of Empowerment, Collaboration and Personal Growth
Our studio’s success can be attributed to our culture of empowerment, collaboration and personal growth. We employ a flat structure where all team members are heard, respected and trusted. We encourage knowledge sharing and personal growth through our many Lunch & Learns and frequent feedback. This culture is underscored by our strong commitment to work-life balance.
One major thing that we’re proud of is that we’ve been able to grow a 200 person studio while cultivating an inclusive grassroots culture. We value our team members’ various backgrounds, hobbies, skills, and interests and this is demonstrated through our broad spectrum of social clubs: Join our soccer team, fitness group, potluck club, or one of our many D&D groups - you can even start your own!
Work During COVID-19
In order to keep our employees, candidates and community safe during the COVID-19 pandemic, the majority of our teams are working from home within Canada. All interviewing, onboarding, and most work will take place remotely for the foreseeable future.
SkyBox Labs is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, dedicated to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce.
Although we appreciate all interest, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.