Junior Game Designer
12 days ago
Kwalee is one of the world’s leading multiplatform game publishers, with well over 600 million downloads worldwide for mobile hits such as Draw It, Teacher Simulator, Let’s Be Cops 3D and Makeover Studio 3D. Alongside this, we also have a growing PC and console team of incredible pedigree that is on the hunt for great new titles to join TENS! and Eternal Hope.
With a team of talented people collaborating daily between our studios in Leamington Spa, Bangalore and Beijing, or on a remote basis from Turkey, Brazil, the Philippines and many more, we have a truly global team making games for a global audience. And it’s paying off: Kwalee games have been downloaded in every country on earth! If you think you’re a good fit for one of our remote vacancies, we want to hear from you wherever you are based.
Founded in 2011 by David Darling CBE, a key architect of the UK games industry who previously co-founded and led Codemasters for many years, our team also includes legends such as Andrew Graham (creator of Micro Machines series) and Jason Falcus (programmer of classics including NBA Jam) alongside a growing and diverse team of global gaming experts. Everyone contributes creatively to Kwalee’s success, with all employees eligible to pitch their own game ideas on Creative Wednesdays, and we’re proud to have built our success on this inclusive principle. Could your idea be the next global hit?
As Junior Game Designer you have a talent to create fun, exciting game experiences for our players. You're experienced in different areas of design and have worked designing casual games, ideally in mobile.
What you tell your friends you do
“My mission is that you enjoy our games so much, that you won’t be able to stop playing!”
What you will really be doing
- Working as part of the design team, taking responsibility for multiple mobile game projects, creating game design documents, diagrams and flowcharts.
- Designing compelling game mechanics using modern mobile design principles.
- Creating, balancing and tuning game mechanics, game difficulty and UI flow.
- Creating levels and additional content using Unity, for new and existing games.
- Evolving and adapting game designs based on play testing, feedback and live metrics.
- Driving long term player engagement by understanding mobile players needs and motivations.
How you will be doing this
- You’ll be part of an agile, multidisciplinary and creative team and work closely with them to ensure the best results.
- You'll think creatively and be motivated by challenges and constantly striving for the best.
- You’ll work with cutting edge technology, if you need software or hardware to get the job done efficiently, you can get it. We even have a robot!
Our talented team is our signature. We have a highly creative atmosphere with more than 150 staff where you’ll have the opportunity to contribute daily to important decisions. You’ll work within an extremely experienced and passionate team, including David Darling and the creator of the Micro Machines video games.
Skills and requirements
- Education in Game Design and ideally some experience (even if it's in personal projects or game jams).
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Interest in hypercasual games.
- Knowledge of mobile free-to-play game monetisation and advertising techniques.
- Ability to work creatively in a demanding team environment.
- Absolute passion for playing and making video games, especially mobile games.
- Strong creative ideas and imagination, able to entertain players with challenges, humour, surprises and fun.
- Positive attitude, self driven able to work alone or as part of a team.
- Unity experience.
- Creative writing skills.
- Coding / prototyping skills.
- Experience of mobile game live ops, A/B testing and telemetry.
- Knowledge of mobile game market, trends, competition, platforms and app stores.
We firmly believe in creativity and innovation and that a fundamental requirement for a successful and happy company is having the right mix of individuals. With the right people in the right environment anything and everything is possible.