ABOUT US: Archiact Interactive is a Vancouver-based Virtual and Augmented Reality (VR/AR) Studio that develops new and unique ways for people to play games and interact with each other. We partner with IP holders, large publishers, and tech brands to create and deliver immersive, high-end game experiences across multiple platforms with a special focus on building new tools for cutting-edge emerging technology.
OUR GAMES: Recent titles include DOOM 3: VR Edition (on PSVR), FREEDIVER: Triton Down (on PC, PSVR, and Oculus Quest), and MARVEL: Dimension of Heroes (a smartphone-powered Superhero experience built for Lenovo Mirage AR). We are currently in the early stages of several new and highly innovative projects with leading industry partners and are searching for the best and the brightest to help us transform the world of VR and AR game development. Interested? Read on.
OUR VALUES: At Archiact, diversity is developed and driven by our employees. Inclusion is the way we show our commitment to this core value. Diversity in all areas of our workforce helps us build innovative and immersive experiences that are accessible to everyone.
ROLE OVERVIEW: We are looking for a passionate Junior Designer, who loves to be hands-on with a demonstrated interest in virtual reality and has an understanding of VR systems and features. This is a fixed-term 6 months contract with the possibility of extension. We’re a Vancouver-based Studio but are happy to consider remote workers all over Canada.
ABOUT YOU: You are comfortable working in a close-knit and collaborative team with a wide range of skill sets and personalities. You enjoy the creative problem-solving process required to bring original concepts and high-profile IPs to life in an immersive experience. You thrive when working as part of an agile and fast-paced team and are open to taking on new challenges to assist in raising the quality bar of the end product.
- Collaborate with the Creative Director, Design Team, Programmers, and Artists on design specifications and software to bring mechanics or features to life.
- Help to design and implement specific features or portions of the game, and work closely with the Programming and Art departments to drive development towards the vision laid out by the Creative Director.
- Create and maintain living design documentation that keeps pace with the project's progress and accurately conveys all necessary information to Design, Art, and Programming.
- Partner with all disciplines to understand and address constraints within production, supporting the narrative and game design teams to create interesting and believable world design, ensuring mechanics and systems are effectively utilized in levels.
- Assist with designing and documenting systems or mechanics.
- Assist with implementing levels, tweak blueprints, and tune parameters during the prototype phase and beyond.
- Experience using visual scripting tools.
- A desire and motivation to design and develop WITHIN VR.
- Experience/familiarity using user-generated content tools.
- A clear understanding of game flow, pacing, and emotional design.
- The ability and willingness to adapt to constant changes.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- A self-starter with a strong work ethic.
- A team-player attitude with the ability to collaborate effectively with various stakeholders in a fast-paced environment .
NICE TO HAVE:
- Experience with designing at least 1 VR game. This can include professional industry experience and/or school projects.
- An up-to-date portfolio demonstrating VR game design work.
- Experience in a 3D tool, Unity, or Unreal engine.
BENEFITS & PERKS – WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU?
- A competitive base salary.
- 4% vacation pay.
- Flexible work schedule and remote working.
- Fully equipped onsite gym.
- An opportunity to work on a high-profile IP.
- The chance to be part of an experienced, high-achieving, and fun team.
- An international and diverse atmosphere.
- The opportunity to help pave the way for the future of VR/AR gaming.