Junior Data Engineer
4 days ago
Uken builds games that people everywhere love. Who Wants To Be A Millionaire? and Jeopardy! World Tour are the top 2 trivia games, engaging millions of global players every month. In 2020, Uken released Ava’s Manor, a solitaire game where users renovate and decorate the manor while discovering mysterious clues and dabbling in a romantic love story. Uken’s foray into narrative games is an exciting opportunity for the company.
We consider our Ukenites to be data-driven designers, technologists, and artists. Through collaboration, we pair the craft of design with feedback and data to deliver a pace and rhythm in each game session that immerses our audience and engages them for years. We have a quirky, nerdy culture that fosters creativity, collaboration, quality ideas, innovation, and a data-driven mindset. We believe in moving quickly and improving constantly and that mantra is reflected in the weekly updates we make to our games and internal technologies. We have an appetite for pushing technical boundaries but with a focus on practical use.
We maintain our presence within the tech community by running and hosting numerous technical events and meetups. Our commitment to Engineering and Technology is also seen in our service-oriented architecture with well-modularized responsibilities that allow us to build, maintain and scale our applications. We use both blocking and asynchronous non-blocking programming models when advantageous to do so. Our dozens of game services are built to scale beyond a million DAU while maintaining an average of single-digit millisecond response times. We use a diverse set of both NoSQL and traditional relational databases (e.g.: Aurora, Cassandra, Redis, Redshift), modern JVM (Java and Scala) frameworks, and programming methods. We have a deep understanding of the AWS cloud where we've been running all our infrastructure for almost a decade.
At Uken, we believe that understanding data is a fundamental skill and when leveraged well, it can be used to elevate even the best-designed products. This is why we’re thrilled to be adding a Data Engineer to our Platform team. We are looking for someone to work alongside our engineers, product and project managers to improve and maintain the integrity of our data systems which are responsible for transforming the millions of raw logs we capture each day into actionable insights used by everybody in the company. These actionable insights are foundational to improving the user experience in our games in a meaningful way. This role is intended for a candidate with a strong grasp of computer science fundamentals .
As a Ukenite, you'll be working on meaningful things like:
- Acquiring a complete understanding of how data moves and is transformed across our systems from raw event logs to critical reports consumed by internal teams
- Creating and maintaining optimal data pipelines within our architecture
- Building jobs and tools on top of the data pipeline to provide actionable insights into key metrics
- Debugging discrepancy issues that come up in the ETL (e.g. misaligned metrics with 3rd parties, duplicates, failures in the ETL, performance bottlenecks)
- Building tools to automate data verification and ensure the integrity of our reported metrics
- Integrating data from multiple sources across internal and external partners
- Working alongside Data Engineers and Project Managers to strive for greater functionality in our data systems
Your background should include:
- Experience with object-oriented, functional, and scripting languages e.g.: Scala, Python, Java
- SQL skills
- Experience with relational SQL and NoSQL databases such as including Redshift, Postgres, Redis, and MySQL
- Experience with tools used for large scale data processing: Spark, Hadoop, Kafka
- Experience with cloud services such as Amazon AWS
It'd be a big plus if you have:
- Knowledge of message queuing, stream processing, and highly scalable ‘big data’ technologies
- Understanding of the different federated querying, data warehousing, and BI technologies and how they work together to form a Data Platform.
- Knowledge of Machine Learning and experience implementing ML applications
- Worked with real-time and streaming analytics
- Experience building tech that operates at scale
- Contributed to an Open Source Project
What's in it for you?
- You’ll be equipped with a high-end PC or laptop
- Competitive compensation and benefits
- Fully catered lunch, breakfast, and a snack filled kitchen (in-office)
- Uken social nights including mixers, game night, and more - we take entertainment seriously!
- Office-based or home-based work options
- Convenient location in the heart of downtown Toronto at Front & John St.
At Uken, we believe there is power in diversity and strive for a diverse, inclusive, and accessible environment. Our ongoing innovative journey relies on each Ukenite to be different. All qualified applicants will be assessed equally regardless of race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, age, sex, sexual attraction, gender identity, or expression, and would not face discrimination based on disability.
Uken is committed to offering reasonable accommodation to job applicants with disabilities. If you need assistance or accommodation due to a disability, please contact us at email@example.com
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.