This job might no longer be available.
Junior Audio Designer
27 days ago
Rebellion Oxford is currently looking for a Junior-level Audio Designer with a passion for game audio. This is a rare opportunity to join a successful independent developer with our own in-house audio facilities and support experienced audio designers. Tasks will include creating, refining and implementing audio assets for a cross platform title, as well as assisting on other projects in production as required.
This role is full-time based in-house at our Oxford HQ. We can consider permanent or fixed-term contracts employment but not freelance or agencies. You must be able to legally work in the UK.
- Report to the Head Of Audio, Project Audio Lead and Project Producers regarding the sound design direction and audio-related requirements of the current game, technology requirements, resource issues, etc
- Design and create high quality audio assets for various in-house projects
- Perform sound format conversion, EQ, looping, mixing, adding DSP effects, normalisation and sound balancing for in-game assets on multiple platforms
- Implement designed audio assets into the game using the game engine tools.
- Carry out audio dept operations; setting up, troubleshooting and maintaining equipment, archiving recorded material, engineering recording sessions, etc
- Keep up-to-date on current artistic and technical production trends in game audio and how they can benefit Rebellion
- Work effectively with minimal levels of guidance, prioritising and scheduling your own work
- Collaborate productively within multi-disciplined project team environments, communicating ideas and issues clearly
- Be responsive to deadlines and work well under pressure, meeting multiple production goals and deadlines
No games industry experience is required for this role. We’re just looking for someone passionate about Audio Design (specifically in video games), has developed skills either through education or self-taught (or both) to design high-quality Audio themselves, and is looking for an opportunity to take that hobby and turn it into a blossoming career with a highly regarded game studio.
Please provide a show-reel demonstrating your sound design talents (music content optional, please note that this is an Audio Design/Editing/Implementation role so would not suit someone solely interested in composing).
You will have;
- Outstanding creative and technical audio production skills, strong attention to detail and excellent work ethic
- Excellent understanding of audio production, editing and mastering
- Very good understanding of EQ, dynamic range, compression techniques and multi-channel audio formats
- Experience with professional audio editing tools such as (or similar to) Reaper, Sound Forge, Cubase, various plug ins, etc.
- Excellent initiative, self-motivation, communication, organisational and problem solving skills, as well as team-working and the ability to accept and follow direction
- A genuine interest in playing games and a passion for audio in games
- Experience with game audio implementation software, such as Wwise, Fmod, or similar 1st/3rd party tools would be an advantage.
- An understanding of programming methods and conventions would be an advantage
- Holiday: 26 holiday days annually, increasing with service to 31 days, plus national public holidays
- Private Medical Insurance: Our PMI scheme offers comprehensive cover to access private medical treatment, taking the stress and strain out of waiting for treatments via the NHS
- Pension Contribution: Tax efficient salary sacrifice contributory pension scheme where Rebellion matches 4% of salary, plus 10% of any contribution you make
- Healthcare Cash Plan: Cash-back on treatment costs, from flu jabs to chiropractors
- Dental & Vision: Cash-back on routine or emergency costs, free eye tests
- Income Protection: Financial help if unable to work due to illness or injury
- Critical Illness: Financial help if diagnosed with critical illness
- Life Assurance: Financial security for your loved ones at a difficult time
- EAP: Wellbeing hub, including confidential telephone support and counselling
- Active Rewards: Earn discounts and other perks for physical activity, from trainers to cinema tickets
- Gym Membership: Discounts to over 3,000 participating UK gyms, pools & fitness events
- Loans: Interest free, tax-free loans
- Relocation: Assistance with relocation planning and costs
- Cycling Cycle Scheme: Save around 30% of the cost of a new bike and equipment though salary sacrifice tax & NI savings, spread repayments over 12 months
- Discounts: 50% off most 2000 AD merchandise, plus Active Rewards and more through health schemes, from high street retail to holidays
- Referral Bonus: Up to £2k bonus for internal staff referrals that lead to hires
- Flexible Hours: Flexible start and finish times
- Great Friendly Culture: Friendly, creative and relaxed working atmosphere, with sensibly managed projects and recognition of the importance of work-life balance (anti-crunch)
- Social & Charity Events: Annual Summer BBQ & Christmas Party, social groups such as photography and board games, charity events including football, go-karting and supporting Special Effect
- Digital Freebies: GDC Vault access, all Rebellion Steam titles, digital copies of 2000 AD and Rebellion Publishing comics, graphic novels and ebooks, physical game and film libraries