This job might no longer be available.
18 days ago
To our wonderful friends and followers around the world, Jagex is not pausing its search for the most talented people to join its ranks. We’re a successful, robust and growing business, after all.
In light of the current situation concerning coronavirus, we have already made changes to the way we recruit, and of course are mindful of following all necessary processes to ensure the safety of our staff and anyone we might come into contact with.
Jagex has switched to working almost entirely remotely, and in line with that our recruitment and selection process has moved to an entirely remote one with video calls being the preferred method of interview.
Our hiring managers are engaged, we are well-prepared and we sincerely look forward to talking to you soon. Our team of expert recruiters will be in touch with you to talk you through the process and changes and what to expect.
So, don’t delay, get that application in today!
A leader in creating deep and engaging experiences on PC and mobile, Jagex was founded in 2001 and is today one of the UK’s biggest and most respected video game developers and publishers.
Famed for its flagship MMOs RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, Jagex has welcomed more than 260million player accounts to its world and created a $1bn lifetime franchise revenue. Today the RuneScape franchise exists beyond running games in live operations; our titles are living games that connect and inspire millions of players, with content and experiences both inside and outside of inexhaustible game worlds.
Both RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, on PC and mobile, offer ever-evolving, highly-active worlds and our community-focussed development ethos empowers players to have a real say in how each game is shaped.
Jagex is expanding and extending its portfolio with fresh franchise titles, new IP and, in 2018 launched Jagex Partners, delivering third-party publishing and operational services exclusively for the living games of the future.
Jagex employs more than 400 people at its Cambridge headquarters and is on the hunt for talented people to work across the business to help the company to achieve yet another year of record growth and player satisfaction.
We have an exciting and rare opportunity for a Junior Artist to join our Old School RuneScape title. The Junior Artist will be responsible for creating stylized 3D Art, ensuring that all artwork meets the art direction requirements of the game whilst adhering to any technical restrictions. The candidate will also be responsible for helping to define both the quality bar and optimal workflows for 3D creation.
As a Junior Artist, you are an exceptionally skilled individual who can create and deliver simple and yet beautiful 3D art. You will be responsible for end-to-end asset creation and integration into the game engine. Ideally you have a leaning toward character art and animation, but this is not a deal breaker. We really value visual communication, so a solid understanding of art fundamentals is key for the role. We want to see driven individuals who are happy to learn and develop and have an avid interest in all aspects of game development asset creation.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Delivery of all artwork at the expected studio quality
- Clean and professional workflows considering technical art and animation requirements
- Collaborate with the AAD and concept artists to set the visual style and quality bar
- Give and receive constructive feedback and apply direction
- Build clean topology with high consideration for animation
- Ensure players have a great experience in the game!
What we are looking for:
- Passion for stylised and retro graphics
- Self-starter who looks for opportunities to make improvements
- Solid 3D generalist portfolio
- Highly proficient in 2D and 3D software (Maya/ Photoshop)
- Have an artistic background showing a solid understanding of art fundamentals; anatomy, composition, lighting/ value, form/ function and perspective
- Ability to adapt to and innovate new styles and techniques
- Strong foundation in art fundamentals
*BONUS* Character Concept Design
*BONUS* Rigging and skinning
*BONUS* Traditional sculpting
Desirable but non-essential skills:
- Character focussed skills a strong plus (character design, animation)
- Technical Art Skills (Rigging, skinning, scripting)
- Traditional art skills (painting, drawing, sculpture)
- Flexible Working
- Bonus Scheme
- Private Health Care
- Gym Membership
- Generous Pension Contributions
- Life Insurance
- Free Cycle Repair
- Income Protection
- Dental Plan
- Free Fruit and Drinks
- Subsidised Canteen
Feel like you fit this role, but don’t meet all the requirements? We strive for fresh perspectives, so as long as you can demonstrate how your attitude and other abilities might make up for any gaps we would welcome your application!
Jagex are an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.