This job might no longer be available.
1 year ago
Skillz is the leading mobile games platform connecting players in fair, fun, and meaningful competition.
The gaming industry is larger than movies, music, and books, with more than 2.7 billion gamers playing monthly and 10 million developers worldwide. Mobile is the fastest-growing segment of the gaming market, expected to increase from $86 billion last year to $161 billion in 2025.
As the first publicly traded (NYSE: SKLZ) mobile eSports platform, Skillz has pioneered the future of the gaming industry. The Skillz platform helps developers build multi-million dollar franchises by enabling social competition in their games. Leveraging its patented technology, Skillz hosts billions of casual eSports tournaments for millions of mobile players worldwide, and distributes millions in prizes each month.
Through its philanthropic initiatives, Skillz has harnessed the power of its platform to transform the way nonprofits engage with donors, enabling anyone with a mobile device to support causes such as the American Red Cross, Susan G. Komen, American Cancer Society, and NAACP by playing in Skillz tournaments.
Skillz has also earned recognition as one of San Francisco Business Times’ Best Places to Work, Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies, Parity.org’s Best Companies for Women to Advance, a two-time winner of CNBC’s Disruptor 50, one of Forbes’ Next Billion-Dollar Startups, and the #1 fastest-growing company in America on the Inc. 5000.
What you'll do:
Develop new data systems for Skillz’s online platform as well as supporting the data science team in developing and deploying new algorithms for matchmaking and fraud and cheat detection.
- Develop new systems to provide real-time streaming analytics and event processing pipeline based on fast data architecture to handle throughput over millions of events per second.
- Develop enterprise grade data lake to support both business analytical needs and next generation data infrastructure.
- Develop data integration toolkit to build and manage automated and efficient data pipelines that will consume data from backend services into a data repository.
- Support Skillz’s data science team in developing and deploying new algorithms for matchmaking, fraud and cheat detection.
- Research technical solutions to move large data sets from a variety of sources to formats consumable by reporting systems and analysts.
- Create infrastructure for and enable monitoring and alarms pertaining to data integrity and data systems health.
- Leverage and contribute to industry best practices including proper use of source control, code reviews, data validation and testing
- Support Skillz’s product development team in creating new events to measure/track business growth.
- Create and implement engineering best practices and collaborate in the design of effective streamlined processes with partner teams.
Position Requirements: Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Management Information Systems, Statistics, Operations Research or a similar field (or foreign equivalent degree), plus 3 years of experience in data management, data engineering and/or software engineering.
Experience which may be gained concurrently, must include:
- 3 years of experience in designing, implementing, automating and maintenance of large-scale ETL processes, providing proficiency with ETL concepts like idempotency, retry and backoff strategies, data parsing techniques, invalid data handling, data staging, code reuse.
- 3 years of experience working with RDBMS technologies including MySQL.
- 2 years of experience with data warehousing technologies (SQL Server, Snowflake and/or Redshift).
- 3 years of experience building and managing pipeline authoring tools and running active data pipelines in production using Airflow.
- 2 years of experience in developing containerized applications and hosting data systems in container orchestration platforms like Kubernetes.
- 2 years of experience with event streaming and transformation from source to destination using distributed streaming systems Apache Nifi or Apache Flink.
- 3 years of experience in ANSI SQL, and with at least two of the following: Python, Java, Scala.
- 3 years of experience in rapidly prototyping a data product from scratch and leading the implementation in production.
- Experience with managing outside of business hours incidents and acting on a production environment autonomously to address critical issues.
Multiple Openings: We have multiple Data Engineer positions open
Job Site: 303 2nd Street, Suite 110, San Francisco, CA 94107. Full-time.
Other Hub Locations: Portland, OR, Las Vegas, NV, Vancouver, BC, Los Angeles, CA, Dallas, TX, Austin, TX, Phoenix, AZ
Please apply via Skillz, Inc.’s career website at https://www.skillz.com/careers/ and reference Job #DE921. This position is part of Skillz, Inc.’s employee referral program and is eligible for an employee referral incentive.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.