This job might no longer be available.
Jr 2D Artist (Concept) - Arena
Wizards of the Coast
Renton, Washington, United States
20 days ago
For decades, Wizards of the Coast has connected people around the world through play and imagination, with core games that have defined their genres - Magic: The Gathering® and Dungeons & Dragons®. We want to offer more ways to connect and play as the company grows. And that’s where you come in.
What is this role all about
We are seeking an experienced, proactive Junior 2D Artist to concept industry-leading creatures, environments and card frames for Arena. You will combine strong aesthetic sensibilities and a basic understanding of card game development to bring the world of Magic: the Gathering to life! This role utilizes a variety of tools to create inspiring and dynamic concepts and illustrations. You will collaborate with other artists, animators, and designers to deftly balance visual direction with the needs of the game.
Day to Day Experience
- Develop character concepts and skins including character sheets, movement studies and breakouts for equipment’s
- Generate concepts for top down environment/battlefields
- Iterate on game assets with internal and external production artists via thumbnails, paint overs, studies, and group critiques
- Create additional 2D assets such as premium card sleeves, avatars, etc
What You'll Bring
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in animation, film or game development focusing on conceptual artwork, or have equivalent experience.
- Expertise in 2D digital content creation tools such as Photoshop.
- Proficiency in human and creature anatomy and a keen eye towards form, shape, depth, perspective, structure, and silhouette in regard to illustration and design.
- Excellent eye for light, value, composition, and color.
- Can invent and develop ideas from the thumbnail concept phase to final polished illustration.
- An understanding of how concepts translate to real-time game environments.
- Proficiency in drawing environments and structures in top down perspective.
- Familiarity with the distinctive Magic: the Gathering visual style and a passion to push it to the next level.
- Love for games!
- Experience in crafting visual designs that support gameplay-oriented goals.
- Strong understanding of 3D art techniques & software packages such as Maya, Zbrush, 3DCoat and Substance.
- Proficiency with 2D/3D animation, 3D modeling, and/or VFX.
- Solid base in the traditional arts, including but not limited to figure drawing, landscape painting, and illustration.
- Have shipped an AAA PC or console title as a concept artist.
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for satisfactory performance in this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities, or requirements of the position.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. If you are selected to move forward in our application process and need to request an accommodation, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.