Japanese to US English Translator
18 days ago
Title: Japanese Translator (JP > US EN)
Hours: Monday - Friday, 8:30 – 17:00 (circa)
Type: 3 Months fixed term contract
Location: UK, Remote
PTW is currently recruiting a Japanese Translator for our global Translation operation. We're looking for candidates with advanced language skills and in-depth cultural knowledge of Japanese and English.
You will be responsible for the correct translation of video game content and act as an interpreter to change other associated text into English from Japanese. You will work following product-specific guidelines to ensure the maximum linguist quality and adherence to all relevant conventions. You will be working as part of a team of language specialists to produce high-quality translations, either translating yourself or reviewing documentation.
Duties and Key Responsibilities
- As a Japanese Translator your general translation activities including, but not limited to:
- Creating characterisation documents, glossaries, and style guides following pre-defined guidelines from the client.
- Conduct translation and revision work following provided guidelines and instructions, including First Party terminology.
- Conduct revision work following provided guidelines and instructions, including First Party terminology.
- Ensuring that all work conducted meets the outlined deadlines and industry-standard productivity figures.
- Providing linguistic feedback for work carried out externally.
Knowledge, Experience, and Skills (preferred)
- Must have the Right to Work in the UK
- Native-level fluency in Japanese and English, particularly reading & writing.
- Strong understanding of the Japanese and English culture.
- Experience within the translation industry or working professionally as a Translator.
- Excellent knowledge of business software applications (e.g. Microsoft Office, memoQ, Plunet).
- Be proactive with clear and effective communication skills (verbal and written).
- Good organisation and problem-solving skills and have a “can-do” attitude and positive thinking.
- The ability to work under pressure with tight deadlines and stay focused.
- Excellent accuracy, attention to detail, and organizational skills.
- Sound research and translation judgment skills, and have self-motivation, adaptability, and professionalism.
What we offer
- You will be working for the pre-eminent global provider of specialist services to the games industry and provided with full training and the opportunity to work on some of the biggest games titles in the world.
- Competitive remuneration, holidays, regular team competitions with great prizes; and inclusion into an extensive social calendar. Collaborative teamwork with people from all around the world, different nationalities and languages.
- A supportive community inclusive of LGBTQ+, and any age, ethnicity, religion, or disability. We care about the wellbeing of our employees and have a dedicated employee wellbeing programme.
- Our Studios have some of the best views in the City, with excellent transport links. On-site amenities can include a café, nursery, ATM, car valeting/charging, dry cleaning, freecycle checks and parking with access to a variety of local bars & restaurants.
Who we are
PTW is the leading global services company that collaborates with video game developers and publishers through outsourced production services. We started 25 years ago and since then, have grown exponentially year-on-year to where we are today. Our history is in gaming, and we are gamers at heart. In our time within the games industry, we have worked on over 1500 titles across all genres and all platforms, including 8 out of the past 10 Game-Of-The-Year-winning titles.
We have grown rapidly over the past few years and now have 35 sites spanning the globe. The PTW umbrella of companies includes SIDE, 1518 Studios, and Orange Rock. SIDE works at the cutting edge of interactive media as a provider of audio services for the global entertainment market. Orange Rock is our in-house game and product development studio, and 1518 Studios is our state-of-the-art Art & Design Studio.
Welcome to PTW.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.