This job might no longer be available.
Japanese/English Technical Writer (Contract)
15 days ago
PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play — it’s also the Best Place to Work. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in entertainment producing The PlayStation family of products and services including PlayStation®5, PlayStation®4, PlayStation®VR, PlayStation®Plus, acclaimed PlayStation software titles from PlayStation Studios, and more.
PlayStation also strives to create an inclusive environment that empowers employees and embraces diversity. We welcome and encourage everyone who has a passion and curiosity for innovation, technology, and play to explore our open positions and join our growing global team.
The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
We’re looking for an experienced Japanese/English bilingual technical writer/translator of end user documentation to join our diverse and close-knit group of communicators and project managers. We’re passionate about creating helpful, engaging, and inclusive content to bridge the gap between our products and consumers, and we hope you will be, too. As a team, we look out for each other, know how to have fun, and work to live (not the other way around).
Full remote work may be possible depending on your location. You may be asked to provide writing samples and participate in writing/translation/Japanese language tests.
- Japanese to English translation and English language development
- Translate a variety of media, including PlayStation product manuals and packaging for global end users as well as internal documentation.
- Adhere to company-specific guidelines, such as terminology and writing style guides.
- Create user-friendly and succinct content that's harmonious with existing content.
- Use a wide variety of resources, tools, and software to produce accurately and meticulously researched content.
- Be comfortable with receiving lots of feedback from many different stakeholders in multiple review rounds. Revise and polish content as necessary.
- Authoring of consumer-facing instructional content in English
- Research product specifications and other information using various in-house tools and software.
- Work closely with the document development team in Japan. Plan, organize, interview, and discuss with product engineers and stakeholders to finalize content. Communicate in Japanese when required.
- Author English content or trans-create content with a Japanese tech writer.
- Perform other related duties as assigned
- Manage subject-matter expert reviews. Collaborate with a global team of stakeholders including product development, marketing, legal, and product safety to understand their requirements.
- Take meeting notes and maintain information in our systems, such as Confluence/JIRA.
- Review other teams’ end user documents.
- Fluency in English, plus excellent comprehension of Japanese. Very comfortable with both verbal and written communication in Japanese. JLPT1 or equivalent.
- Translation skills with acute attention to detail. Must be aware of the importance of context when translating. Must be culturally sensitive.
- Self-starter with solid skills in managing time and prioritizing work.
- Experience working in a fast-paced environment while multitasking, meeting deadlines, and being flexible to meet departmental needs.
- Cross-cultural exposure in a business setting; ability to communicate tactfully in multicultural environments.
- Must be able to accommodate variable working hours, including attending occasional international meetings that occur outside of typical working hours.
- BA or BS degree in Technical Communications, English, Japanese, linguistics, or similar field.
- Two to three years of experience developing user-friendly, consumer-facing documentation.
- Two to three years of experience as a Japanese-to-English translator.
- Adobe Acrobat and Office 365, such as Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Experience with the following:
- Managing technical reviews with subject-matter experts
- Knowledge of Confluence, JIRA
- Basic XML coding skills for authoring tools such as Oxygen
- Knowledge about repositories and version control using GitHub
- Linguistic QA experience
- Using CAT tools for translations and creating/maintaining translation memory
- Bonus points if you love our products!
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender reassignment), race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
PlayStation is a Fair Chance employer and qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records will be considered for employment.