This job might no longer be available.
Intermediate Level Designer | IP Division
13 days ago
Who is SkyBox Labs?
SkyBox Labs is a game development studio that works on some of the world’s most iconic games. The studio is currently co-developing Halo Infinite, working on projects in the Minecraft universe, supporting the dev team at Bungie on Destiny 2: Lightfall, supporting development of Fallout 76, and working on original IP. As one of Canada’s fastest-growing game studios, since our inception in 2011, SkyBox Labs has evolved from a group of 8 people to a team of over 270+ Engineers, Artists, Animators, Designers, Producers, and more! Join us in our Burnaby or Victoria studios, or have the opportunity to work remotely within Canada for certain designated projects.
Interested? Let’s talk about what we’re hiring for:
SkyBox Labs is on the lookout for an Intermediate Level Designer to join our IP Division. Dive into the early phases of development and become a key collaborator in the creation process—from early stages to release and beyond. By collaborating with cross-functional teams, utilizing rapid prototyping and extensive game design knowledge, you will have a unique opportunity to leave a lasting impact on the design of our original AAA IP.
Ready to put your design skills and expertise into creating something extraordinary? Apply today!
A snapshot of your role:
- Collaborate with the team in designing, building and maintaining levels from inception through production
- Collaborate with the other designers to prototype environments, establish layouts, and integrate core gameplay and mechanics within levels
- Develop paper designs and contribute to documentation outlining level-specific mechanics
- Identify and troubleshoot specified design issues and bugs for a seamless gaming experience under the guidance of Design Leadership
- Collaborate closely with cross-functional teams to polish level layouts and ensure visual consistencies
- Communicate with the team to validate the intentions and assess technical feasibility
Sound like you? This is what we're looking for:
- Portfolio and/or reel demonstrating high-quality level design work in the gaming industry
- Minimum 2 years of professional game design experience with a focus on level design
- Proficiency in large game engines, and it’s related game design and scripting tools
- Solid understanding of game design principles and player psychology
- Passion for video games and a desire to creating immersive gaming experiences
- Design experience in 3rd person action games
- Experience with one AAA title, with a minimum of one level taken from conception to launch
- Hands-on experience with Unreal Engine in a design capacity
- Familiarity with Blueprint scripting within Unreal Engine or similar
- Exposure to creative writing for narrative elements within level designs
And here is why we think you'll love working at SkyBox Labs:
- Annual bonus and up to 3% RRSP matching available
- Comprehensive health benefits, along with a supportive Parental Leave policy
- Flexible hybrid and remote working arrangements: leverage our beautiful studio spaces as needed, and use our $400 work-from-home allowance to make your home office comfortable
- Take care of your mental health with our Employee Assistance Program, 3 weeks of vacation leave, and our free gym at our Burnaby Studio
- We relentlessly support your growth and development! Level up your C++ skills at SkyBox University, explore other disciplines through our Guild Program, and expand your game dev knowledge with Lunch & Learns. You’ll join a culture of empowerment, collaboration, and personal growth.
- Social events! Have fun with the team at trivia nights, karaoke nights, movie nights, and various group activities. Join our soccer team, game jams, or a board game sesh after work. You name it, we’ve got it!
- Generous relocation allowance to support your move to either Vancouver or Victoria
- You’ll contribute to industry-leading titles, from legendary AAA franchises to Original IP
The base salary range is $62,000 -$93,000 The stated pay scale reflects the range that SkyBox Labs reasonably expects to pay for this position. Your base salary will be determined by various factors including, but not limited to, qualifications, skills, and experience.
Our commitment to you:
SkyBox Labs is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, committed to developing and maintaining a diverse workforce. You’ll join a collaborative, inclusive culture. One where we succeed together – across the desk and around Canada. Where like-minded people work naturally together to achieve great things (and games!).
Only candidates who reside in Canada or are willing to relocate will be considered for this role. Additionally, although we appreciate all interest, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.