This job might no longer be available.
Incubation Senior Systems Designer
12 days ago
We are seeking a technical, creative, and team-oriented systems designer who is incredibly excited to help build a sandbox game unlike anything we have ever created at Bungie.
As a Senior Systems Designer you will design and implement a wide range of game systems. One day you will be building and balancing the combinatorics of sandbox atoms, the next day working on social systems like player collaboration, and the day after that working on progression systems and tech trees.
You will touch all relevant systems to implement prototype features. For example, if you're working on the player spawning system, you'll also build the UI widget that allows players to choose their spawn location on the in-game map. There is nothing you're unwilling to learn.
Working as part of a small, tight-knit incubation team you will be able to speak the language of all the other disciplines in order to foster trust and a true spirit of collaboration. You are eager to serve and make your teammates' lives easier. You are candid and expect candor from your team.
Join us and get in at the beginning of our quest to build something incredible that lasts for generations.
Note: It is possible that this role will expand and evolve as the project moves forward.
With the uncertainty and rapidly changing circumstances surrounding COVID-19, most positions at Bungie are expected to onboard and work from home for a significant portion of 2021. In 2022, most Bungie employees will adopt a flexible schedule working from home part time (outside of positions identified as either 100% onsite or fully remote in CA, IL, NC, TX, and WA). Currently only a select range of positions are available for full-time remote work in CA, IL, NC, TX, and WA (please review location for details). Prospective employees located outside of CA, IL, NC, TX, and WA will need to establish WA state residency within 45 days of a start date. Bungie’s work from home, flexible work schedule, and remote policy is subject to change at the company’s discretion.
- Work with the incubation team to prototype and develop a new Bungie IP
- Design multiple core systems such as sandbox atoms, progression, or social systems that are highly integrated with each other
- Ensure that those systems are accessible to players and work toward the creative pillars of the project
- Collaborate daily with a cross-discipline team to understand and build what's best for the game
- Be highly flexible in thinking and able to upgrade or discard ideas when new information is discovered
- Perform advanced scripting and tool work
- Professional experience as a designer
- Experience working with game development software and tools
- Passion for collaboration with many other disciplines to achieve a common goal
- Ability to contribute creatively to world building
- Dedication to a positive work environment
- Ability to creatively align with the team and then take initiative
- Excellent communication skills
- Love of playtesting, getting feedback, and giving feedback
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
- Technical experience writing text-based scripts to manage game systems (scripting in a Lua, Python, or similar language)
- Experience with Unity
- Multiple shipped game systems within the console space
- Experience with and love of sandbox or shared world games
- Experience with systems design and/or development of procedural and systemic content