Incubation Narrative Lead
1 month ago
Are you on a mission to create games that bond players together into deeply invested communities? Would you like to work on something comedic with lighthearted and whimsical characters? Do you think a lot about how storytelling impacts character design, or how universal human experiences can speak to different cultures all around the world? As an Incubation Narrative Lead, you start with a small team to define the world of a new Bungie IP, and develop lovable characters as you prototype with the team on the path to production. Most importantly, you will work with a fun, dedicated, and passionate cross-discipline team devoted to making a new franchise at Bungie.
We look for candidates who value joining a mission-focused team with a diverse set of backgrounds, experiences, interests, and viewpoints.
NOTE: Please provide for us a sample of dialog that conveys whimsy and/or charm along with your application. Existing samples you have previously written are acceptable. This can be in any universe you are familiar with.
With the uncertainty and rapidly changing circumstances surrounding COVID-19, most positions at Bungie are expected to onboard and work from home for a significant portion of 2021. In 2022, most Bungie employees will adopt a flexible schedule working from home part time (outside of positions identified as either 100% onsite or fully remote in WA & CA). Currently only a select range of positions are available for full-time remote work in WA & CA (please review location for details). Prospective employees located outside of CA & WA will need to establish WA state residency within 45 days of a start date. Bungie’s work from home, flexible work schedule, and remote policy is subject to change at the company’s discretion.
- Collaborating closely with team to contribute to and uphold the creative vision of the game
- Establish style guides and specs required to define and document the narrative direction of the project
- Drive and develop world/IP premises, character bios and backstories that inspires and excites the team
- Maintain character and world consistency across all storytelling channels
- Write and implement dialogue in collaboration with gameplay and art teams
- Identify opportunities and push for avenues in systems design that push narrative expression in the game world
- Help grow, mentor, and guide the team, including directly managing internal and external writers
- Vast game development experience, including experience in an narrative or writing leadership role
- A strong interest for and/or desire to explore possibilities of contemporary media and content for a young adult audience
- Experience with development tools, like Unreal Engine and/or Unity
- Embraces a "we" culture in addition to being an outstanding collaborator and communicator
- Comfortable building throwaway work to prove concepts as quickly as possible
- Ability to take initiative to solve problems with excellent follow-through
- Familiarity with the competitive gaming landscape
- Game Design and/or UI visual design experience