This job might no longer be available.
R&D Lead / System & Software Engineering Lead / System & Software Architect
7 months ago
Who are we?
We’re Sandbox VR, and we’re the most advanced virtual reality experience in the world. Inside our rooms, we take you on thrilling adventures and transform you into new characters. Our experience is like the movies, except you’re actually with your friends inside the movie. We are creating the future of entertainment by building towards the virtualization of physical spaces and eventually becoming the portal to the Metaverse. We want you be a part of our journey and help us make that a reality!
Since we launched in Hong Kong in 2017, we’re now live in 19 locations and 5 countries around the world (we’re the #1 Activity in Hong Kong and Singapore on TripAdvisor, #1 VR place in China Shanghai on Dianping), and we’re quickly expanding. As a growing company we are looking for leaders who want to transform the entertainment industry and contribute to the cutting-edge experiences we are creating. We take pride in the relationships we are building within the community through innovation and providing a best-in-class experience for our guests. The opportunities within Sandbox VR are endless and we want you to be a part of this new world we are creating!
What will you be doing?
You’ll be leading a lean R&D team (Total 4 members) to bring an idea and solution of core technology. Evaluating and analysing the hardware solution in the market and picking the best option for Sandbox. Building the software and infrastructure core platform for application developers. Work smart and creative in a problem-solving environment. You will be taking care the following functional scopes:
Product Management: You'll be responsible for researching, prioritizing, and executing on our Core VR platform, which includes both hardware and software. On the software side, you'll be responsible for managing everything from our core retail operations platform to ensuring our core experiences all hit framerate. On the hardware side, you'll be responsible for everything from finger tracking to wireless VR transmission, in order to get Sandbox VR ever closer to the Holodeck.
Software Platform: Design and execute the development and testing plan for software platform. Build the API for the developer to access the hardware and the system function. And build the micro-service, application and algorithms to enhance the end user experience.
Hardware Implementation: Research, implementation and execute and testing plan for the new hardware, networking and infrastructure platforms. Then provide the corresponding operation manual and troubleshooting guide to the operation team.
Supply chain & Quality assurance: Communicating with hardware providers to ensure the supply chain and alternative solution in different countries. Setup the KPI of the software platform to evaluate the system performance and reliability of each location.
Who are we looking for?
- At least 7+ years’ experience in software development section and strong leadership experience of the SDLC, leads the team to accomplish the software platform building on top of the hardware and infrastructure.
- We're looking for a passionate person who is interested in playing and analysing any new hardware in the world. Hands on the studying and provides the research report.
- Product Management experience who understands the API and user experience design for our developers and end user customers.
- Great communication skills, resourceful, organized, adaptable and collaborative. You will be working with different team leaders to figure out the best decision and solution for the product.
- Good command of spoken and written English and Chinese
- We’re also looking for an open-minded and self-motivated person who can lead a team with creative solutions and innovative ideas to make a great product.
- We’re making the holodeck real at Sandbox VR. We expect this to be a very competitive market, which means we have to innovate as a team. You should be keen to researching and solving completely new technology challenges that body has solved before.
How can you really impress us?
- If you’ve worked in a start-up company. We are glad to hear your experience and see how you can bring that experience to us.
- If you’ve been a software team lead, we’d love to hear about your leadership philosophy and experience. We’re still early and it’s important that we acquire a strong engineering culture from our senior engineers as we grow our team.
- If you’ve been a hardware team lead, we are excited to hear your experience to build a better experience for our customers.
- If you’ve worked in a diverse market/ industry and have worked in polyglot language environments where there isn’t just one programming language used across multiple services, we’d love to hear about that too. We’re going to have to work with a lot of services from third parties in order to quickly evolve our platform.
- Outside of your job, it would be a huge plus if you’ve done engineering work with cutting edge technologies as a hobby, such as VR/AR/MR, robotics / drones, motion capture, or machine learning. We have plans to work with all these technologies as we grow our holodeck platform
How do I apply?
If you’re interested in this role, please apply here, or find some other way to get in touch if you’d really like to stand out. We’d like to see at least a CV or LinkedIn, and a quick cover letter/email/blurb on why you’re the right fit for us.
WE ARE SANDBOX VR, AND WE INVITE YOU TO COME PLAY IN OUR SANDBOX (AND THINK OUTSIDE IT).
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.