Head of QA
3 months ago
From critically acclaimed The Longest Journey to the very first sci-fi MMO Anarchy Online, to the brutal trials of Conan Exiles, our 28-year history has set our players uniquely up for a journey to the harsh world of Dune, where the continual battle for survival and spice will bring a challenge that is Legendary.
The Funcom team consists of over 250 people located in 5 studios - Norway, the US, Portugal, Sweden, a newly opened Romania studio - plus an additional UI/UX hub in the UK. As part of Funcom’s ongoing growth, and completing a successful turnaround, Funcom is now backed by Tencent, the largest online gaming company in the world!
Now, our studio in Bucharest, Romania, needs a Head of QA to define and manage QA standards, strategy, and planning, while leading QA teams across multiple locations.
Your Mission in Funcom
As a Head of QA, you will be responsible for defining and managing QA standards, strategy and planning, leading QA teams across multiple locations, growing internal QA capabilities, maintain excellent communication between QA and development, and coordinating with external partners to provide high-quality QA services to game development teams.
You will build the internal QA structure, focusing on leadership, high professional standards, and a quality-oriented mindset. You will manage the existing QA teams in Norway, Portugal, and the United States, as well as lead recruitment efforts to grow a new team in Romania. You will serve as mentor and coach for the QA Leads and you will be a spokesperson for your field both internally and externally.
You will develop QA processes and best practices that meet the demands of Funcom AAA games, with a focus on automation, massive online multiplayer, procedural content generation, and very large open worlds. You will ensure that the proper compliance methodology is put in place to deliver the best quality, compatibility, and performance on every platform, including PC, PS5, and Xbox Series X/S.
You will help assess the strengths and weaknesses of external QA partners and propose mitigations to meet current project needs and improve the quality of these collaborations.
How you can have an impact in your position:
- Build the global QA strategy in line with company goals and ambitions
- Build an experienced, high-performing QA team in Romania. Define the technical recruitment process and hire the right people to succeed.
- Be a gatekeeper for QA processes and standards.
- Lead the QA teams through direct mentorship while acting as a tactical driver of success, with the ability to directly contribute to team goals.
- Work closely with QA project managers to build the QA staffing and test plans
- Integrate and represent the QA teams within the development teams
- Develop an intimate understanding of the game systems and their associated requirements
- Establish and follow-up on quality goals, focused on risk management, quality checks, and project KPIs
We are looking for someone that has:
- Passion for video games
- Clear, effective communication across teams and cultures
- An agile, quality-oriented mindset
- 10+ years of experience in the game industry working in a QA or related role
- 4+ years of experience leading/managing a team
- Strong understanding of QA methodologies and tools, video game testing standards, and the video game development cycle
- Project Management knowledge (Project planning, prioritization, partner management, risk management)
- Passion for leadership and mentoring
- Strong analytical and problem-detection skills
It will be great if that someone also has experience with:
- Open-world and multiplayer games
- PC and Console games
- Automated testing
- The full test cycle of a game, through alpha, beta, launch, and maintenance
- Knowledge of SDLC, STLC and Agile development
- Test and issue management tools (JIRA, Testrail, etc.)
We evaluate candidates on an ongoing basis and recommend candidates to apply as soon as possible!
We are a Scandinavian company and follow Scandinavian work values. For you, that means a flat structure in which you can thrive, be yourself, and leave a mark in the studio and become an ambassador for our company values. We focus on Agile/Scrum methodology, and heavily value the importance of work-life balance in employee culture. Funcom values close-knit, collaborative individuals who crave creative ownership, a drive for constructive input, and a never-ending pursuit of evolution and quality.
Bucharest studio is a professional working environment with international work culture , currently focusing on Q uality A ssurance, with plans in place to expand to other areas of game development over time.
Working at Funcom Bucharest offers a flexible working schedule, flexible benefits you can choose from, well-being programs, and a lot o f fun social events where you can interact with your colleagues . Even more: working at Funcom means being part of a family of kind, skilled and professional colleagues that share a passion for games! You will work in a nice and cozy and central location, with a lot of facilities (proximity to the metro and restaurants) .
We have a dynamic, inclusive, challenging, and engaging work culture, with a basis of continued training and career development opportunities. Come join us in a friendly environment of enthusiastic professionals willing to go the extra mile to deliver world-class games.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.