Head of Learning & Org Development
22 days ago
Skillz is the leading mobile games platform connecting players in fair, fun, and meaningful competition.
The gaming industry is larger than movies, music, and books, with more than 2.7 billion gamers playing monthly and 10 million developers worldwide. Mobile is the fastest-growing segment of the gaming market, expected to increase from $86 billion last year to $161 billion in 2025.
As the first publicly-traded (NYSE: SKLZ) mobile esports platform, Skillz has pioneered the future of the gaming industry. The Skillz platform helps developers build multi-million dollar franchises by enabling social competition in their games. Leveraging its patented technology, Skillz hosts billions of casual esports tournaments for millions of mobile players worldwide and distributes millions in prizes each month.
Through its philanthropic initiatives, Skillz has harnessed the power of its platform to transform the way nonprofits engage with donors, enabling anyone with a mobile device to support causes such as the American Red Cross , Susan G. Komen , American Cancer Society and NAACP by playing in Skillz tournaments.
Skillz has also earned recognition as one of Fast Company’s Best Workplaces for Innovators , San Francisco Business Times’ Best Places to Work , Parity.org’s Best Companies for Women to Advance , Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies , a two-time winner of CNBC’s Disruptor 50 , one of Forbes’ Next Billion-Dollar Startups and the #1 fastest-growing company in America on the Inc. 5000.
What We’re Looking For:
The People team will empower Skillz to continue doubling in size every year: by hiring the Skillzians we need to scale and by building and implementing the robust yet innovative solutions, processes and development programs aligned with our business objectives.
The Head of Learning & Org Development will be our catalyst and infuse leadership to build and implement the organizational effectiveness strategies that support the overall manager and employee experiences at Skillz. They will lead the design, development and delivery of all programs and initiatives, including but not limited to, Talent Management, Learning and Development, Employee Engagement and Culture. This individual will partner with People Business Partners - in addition to stakeholders such as People Operations and COEs, Internal Communications, Workplace and Business Operations - to enhance the employee experience, develop our people and ultimately lead to business success.
Driving innovation and relationship building is critical to your leadership style. You enjoy a mission-driven, fast-paced environment where the work you put in daily directly impacts organizational growth. You learn the inner workings of a business and are proactive in driving the organization towards continuous improvement.
What You Will Do:
- Build and lead an L&OD team in developing, delivering, evaluating and refining talent and experience programs; specifically the development and implementation of a structured talent management framework, Voice of Employee program, and Learning and Development strategy
- Lead initiatives to grow corporate culture that support a fast learning and high growth organization
- Conduct research on talent management, VOE survey and learning and development best practices in order to develop resources and advise on best practices and benchmarks
- Act as a thought partner to People Business Partners; successfully partner with senior leaders, serving as a credible and trusted resource
- Be a strategic thinker, be able to envision, distill, communicate, develop and implement short and long-term organizational effectiveness strategies
- Work with People team leadership to develop and implement systems and processes to drive continuous learning and knowledge-sharing across the organization through the lens of growth and scale
- Collaborate across the People team to develop and deliver our team’s initiatives — driving business results and an exceptional employee experience
- Consult with leaders and teams to enhance their team members’ performance and overall organizational effectiveness
- Continuously think about our customers, team members and business to foster an environment of accountability for driving results
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
- 10+ years of progressive People/HR leadership experience, with 5 or more years leading an L&OD function in a high growth tech organization
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degrees and/or relevant certifications a plus
- Proven experience building an L&OD team with a global view
- Demonstrated success in building a new L&OD capability, bringing innovative programs and processes into the organization
- Proven success operating in a rapid growth business and organization, with global expansion a plus; successful track record in leading large-scale initiatives
- Solutions oriented with superior problem-solving skills and ability to make logical and complex decisions in a matrixed environment
- Excellent communications and presentation skills, including both verbal and written communications
- Strong program management skills with the ability to prioritize in a fast-paced environment
- Leadership that inspires and grounds others in a shared purpose; able to engage and influence people across diverse groups and levels
- Unwavering passion and drive to make Skillz the best place to work