Head of Developer Retention
4 days ago
Skillz is the leading mobile games platform connecting players in fair, fun, and meaningful competition.
The gaming industry is larger than movies, music, and books, with more than 2.7 billion gamers playing monthly and 10 million developers worldwide. Mobile is the fastest-growing segment of the gaming market, expected to increase from $86 billion last year to $161 billion in 2025.
As the first publicly-traded (NYSE: SKLZ) mobile esports platform, Skillz has pioneered the future of the gaming industry. The Skillz platform helps developers build multi-million dollar franchises by enabling social competition in their games. Leveraging its patented technology, Skillz hosts billions of casual esports tournaments for millions of mobile players worldwide, and distributes millions in prizes each month.
Through its philanthropic initiatives, Skillz has harnessed the power of its platform to transform the way nonprofits engage with donors, enabling anyone with a mobile device to support causes such as the American Red Cross, Susan G. Komen, American Cancer Society, and NAACP by playing in Skillz tournaments.
Skillz has also earned recognition as one of San Francisco Business Times’ Best Places to Work, Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies, a two-time winner of CNBC’s Disruptor 50, one of Forbes’ Next Billion-Dollar Startups, and the #1 fastest-growing company in America on the Inc. 5000.
What We’re Looking For:
The ideal candidate must have experience with developing insight-led marketing programs for a developer audience across paid, owned and earned channels, including, but not exclusive to, digital and social campaigns, large-scale events, partnerships, marketing collateral, case studies, webinars and engaging video content. A background in software development, game publishing, or developer evangelism is preferred. We’re looking for a candidate who brings an entrepreneurial spirit, an eagerness to learn and lead, and must be comfortable with ambiguity as the Skillz API evolves, grows, and leads the industry in providing developers with a new way to share their art with the world.
What You Will Do :
- Defines value proposition of marketing plans and fully manage complex and high visibility marketing initiatives (tests, launches, campaigns, content), independently
- GTM Planning and coordination to ensure alignment and successful launch of developer products, tools, features and services
- Subject matter expert in software development and can confidently present to a varied cross functioning groups and team leads
- Ability to build the foundation of highly complex insights-based audience strategies that guide marketing efforts without much oversight
- Represent developers with Product Management and Engineering, and provide direction on branding, product positioning and go-to-market planning
- Demonstrates mastery of creating effective culturally relevant work for a developer and or technical audience
- Maintain a clear understanding of product features at Skillz and how they impact developers and the businesses they build for. Partner with product marketing to define relevant messaging, and produce the technical tools and educational materials necessary to create an amazing developer experience as the feature set evolves
- Maintain and update the central source of truth for developer documentation and collateral, including narratives and playbooks to help them learn and implement best practices. Integrate Skillz’s business API into internal events and webinars to educate and inspire developers
- Own KPI definition for developers, including tracking initiative ROI and providing analyses to leadership and stakeholders
- 7+ years professional experience in either of the following areas, product marketing, product management, brand marketing, technical program management, developer relations, partner engineering
- Experience in defining and implementing cross-channel marketing strategy
- Experience working with developer software (e.g., APIs, SDKs) and writing technical documentation
- Focus on retention of developer success
- Experience thriving in a fast-paced, unpredictable environment
- Experience managing other managers for future build out of a team
Skillz embraces diversity and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. As part of our commitment to diversifying our workforce, we do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, sex, gender, gender identity, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship, veteran status, or disability status, and we operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance .