Head of Compliance and Operations
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
10 days ago
Skillz is driving the future of entertainment by accelerating the convergence of sports, video games and media for a booming mobile-first audience worldwide. The company’s platform empowers mobile game developers and players with access to fun and fair competition for real prizes, shifting the paradigm to make esports accessible to anyone, anywhere.
Skillz helps developers build multi-million dollar game franchises by turning content into competitive social gaming properties for the world’s 2.6 billion gamers. The company has already worked with 20,000 game developers, leveraging its patented technology to host billions of casual esports tournaments for 30 million players worldwide.
Last year, Skillz was recognized as one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies and CNBC Disruptor 50 (for the second time). In 2018, Skillz was listed as one of Forbes’ Next Billion-Dollar Startups and Entrepreneur Magazine’s 100 Brilliant Companies. In 2017, Inc. Magazine ranked Skillz the No. 1 fastest-growing private company in America.
The company is backed by leading venture capitalists, media companies, and professional sports luminaries, ranging from Liberty Global, Accomplice, Wildcat Capital, Telstra Ventures, and a founder of Great Hill Partners to the owners of the New England Patriots, Milwaukee Bucks, New York Mets, and Sacramento Kings.
What We’re Looking For:
Are you passionate about keeping systems and users safe? We’re looking for a “Digital Referee” leader that wants to be at the front edge of fair online gaming competition, and to help lead from within a company where fairness is a core operating principle. This person will build a team of like-minded, passionate advocates who evangelize our goal of minimizing the risk of cheaters impacting player competitions/experiences. You’ll have a track record of safeguarding legitimate interactions while detecting and deterring suspicious or harmful behavior via the strategic application of people, process, and technology.
What You Will Do :
- Have fun. Develop or pursue an interest in online gaming, competition, and winning. Learn our platform by walking in our player’s shoes.
- Develop, design and deliver policies and tool strategies to ensure fair play across the gaming platform by building a comprehensive gameplay integrity roadmap. No game is fun if not fair.
- Lead a growing team of analysts and supervisors, improving on their capability and capacity through leadership, process improvement, and technical/tooling advances.
- Anticipate future needs, opportunities and potential compliance/fair play solutions, and lead cross-functional teams through the problem resolution process. These teams will include Legal, Product, Engineering, Analytics, Revenue, and will be expected to influence without authority throughout the organization.
- Design and assess results of data analyses and recommend innovative solutions to detect and deter cheating on the platform that would lead to operational, reputation, and financial risk.
- Develop and expand expert knowledge of the competitive/regulatory landscape as it pertains to gaming, fairness, external optics, and internal project prioritization.
- Will serve as a point of escalation for complex challenges that fall outside internal or external regulatory guidelines.
- 8 years experience at a fintech/ ecommerce platform owning or significantly contributing to people, policy, technical and performance metrics that drive the correct business outcomes and shield the business from unnecessary risks.
- 5 years of leadership experience. Proven ability to retain, grow, and hire a great talent base with an eye towards growth and diversity.
- Gain an understanding of the gameplay integrity issues facing Skillz game titles and existing controls in the first 90 days.
- Expert level competency in managing policies and behaviors of a two-sided ecommerce marketplace, financial services regulations, and payments, including familiarity with conduct risk concepts and framework.
- Ability to succeed in a fast-paced, start-up environment.
- Proven investigative skills, ability to teach and lead a team of analysts on a process by which they arrive at a quantifiable fact based outcome in line with the company’s policies and risk guidelines.
- Ability to manage dynamic changes in the marketplace which can have a direct impact on fair play compliance programs, policies, and techniques for policing risks based behaviors.
- Experience in gaming is a strong plus, otherwise a functional understanding of a two-sided marketplace is desired.
Skillz embraces diversity and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. As part of our commitment to diversifying our workforce, we do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, sex, gender, gender identity, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship, veteran status, or disability status.