This job might no longer be available.
Head of Compliance and Operations
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
14 days ago
Skillz is the leading mobile games platform connecting players in fair, fun, and meaningful competition.
The gaming industry is larger than movies, music, and books, with more than 2.7 billion gamers playing monthly and 10 million developers worldwide. Mobile is the fastest-growing segment of the gaming market, expected to increase from $68 billion in 2019 to $150 billion in 2025.
Skillz is pioneering the competitive mobile gaming experience, leveraging its patented technology to power over two billion esports tournaments a year. The company is headquartered in San Francisco and backed by leading venture capitalists, media companies, and professional sports leagues and franchises.
Through its philanthropic initiatives, Skillz has harnessed the power of its platform to transform the way nonprofits engage with donors, enabling anyone with a mobile device to support causes such as the American Red Cross, Susan G. Komen, American Cancer Society, and NAACP by playing in Skillz tournaments.
Skillz has also earned recognition as one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies, a two-time winner of CNBC’s Disruptor 50, one of Forbes’ Next Billion-Dollar Startups, and the #1 fastest-growing company in America on the Inc. 5000.
What We’re Looking For:
Are you passionate about keeping systems and users safe? We’re looking for a “Digital Referee” leader that wants to be at the front edge of fair online gaming competition, and to help lead from within a company where fairness is a core operating principle. This person will build a team of like-minded, passionate advocates who evangelize our goal of minimizing the risk of cheaters impacting player competitions/experiences. You’ll have a track record of safeguarding legitimate interactions while detecting and deterring suspicious or harmful behavior via the strategic application of people, process, and technology.
What You Will Do :
- Have fun. Develop or pursue an interest in online gaming, competition, and winning. Learn our platform by walking in our player’s shoes.
- Develop, design and deliver policies and tool strategies to ensure fair play across the gaming platform by building a comprehensive gameplay integrity roadmap. No game is fun if not fair.
- Lead a growing team of analysts and supervisors, improving on their capability and capacity through leadership, process improvement, and technical/tooling advances.
- Anticipate future needs, opportunities and potential compliance/fair play solutions, and lead cross-functional teams through the problem resolution process. These teams will include Legal, Product, Engineering, Analytics, Revenue, and will be expected to influence without authority throughout the organization.
- Design and assess results of data analyses and recommend innovative solutions to detect and deter cheating on the platform that would lead to operational, reputation, and financial risk.
- Develop and expand expert knowledge of the competitive/regulatory landscape as it pertains to gaming, fairness, external optics, and internal project prioritization.
- Will serve as a point of escalation for complex challenges that fall outside internal or external regulatory guidelines.
- 8 years experience at a fintech/ ecommerce platform owning or significantly contributing to people, policy, technical and performance metrics that drive the correct business outcomes and shield the business from unnecessary risks.
- 5 years of leadership experience. Proven ability to retain, grow, and hire a great talent base with an eye towards growth and diversity.
- Gain an understanding of the gameplay integrity issues facing Skillz game titles and existing controls in the first 90 days.
- Expert level competency in managing policies and behaviors of a two-sided ecommerce marketplace, financial services regulations, and payments, including familiarity with conduct risk concepts and framework.
- Ability to succeed in a fast-paced, start-up environment.
- Proven investigative skills, ability to teach and lead a team of analysts on a process by which they arrive at a quantifiable fact based outcome in line with the company’s policies and risk guidelines.
- Ability to manage dynamic changes in the marketplace which can have a direct impact on fair play compliance programs, policies, and techniques for policing risks based behaviors.
- Experience in gaming is a strong plus, otherwise a functional understanding of a two-sided marketplace is desired.
Skillz embraces diversity and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. As part of our commitment to diversifying our workforce, we do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, sex, gender, gender identity, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship, veteran status, or disability status.