Manager of Business Operations
6 months ago
Skillz is the leading mobile games platform connecting players in fair, fun, and meaningful competition.
The gaming industry is larger than movies, music, and books, with more than 2.7 billion gamers playing monthly and 10 million developers worldwide. Mobile is the fastest-growing segment of the gaming market, expected to increase from $86 billion last year to $161 billion in 2025.
As the first publicly-traded (NYSE: SKLZ) mobile esports platform, Skillz has pioneered the future of the gaming industry. The Skillz platform helps developers build multi-million dollar franchises by enabling social competition in their games. Leveraging its patented technology, Skillz hosts billions of casual esports tournaments for millions of mobile players worldwide, and distributes millions in prizes each month.
Through its philanthropic initiatives, Skillz has harnessed the power of its platform to transform the way nonprofits engage with donors, enabling anyone with a mobile device to support causes such as the American Red Cross, Susan G. Komen, American Cancer Society, and NAACP by playing in Skillz tournaments.
Skillz has also earned recognition as one of San Francisco Business Times’ Best Places to Work, Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies, a two-time winner of CNBC’s Disruptor 50, one of Forbes’ Next Billion-Dollar Startups, and the #1 fastest-growing company in America on the Inc. 5000.
You are the ultimate people person and can relate to anyone that sits next to you. You enjoy a mission-driven, fast paced environment where you may be juggling multiple tasks at once but always get the job done. You are tech savvy, can identify talent and qualifying candidates who can add value to our already stellar team. You like to learn about different roles and departments within our organization so that you can relate to anyone that interviews with our company.
What We’re Looking For:
The Business Operations (“BizOps”) team is a nimble and highly impactful team that provides critical guidance, insights and strategic frameworks to the senior leaders responsible for our various functions and business units. The team operates like an internal consulting group to define and drive strategic, operational and organizational improvements across the company. Your role will be to provide strategic and day-to-day leadership dedicated to the Operations Organization - to create the foundational business infrastructure that enables that Organization to efficiently scale.
What You Will Do:
- Serve as the daily functional Business Operations lead supporting an Organization within Skillz (e.g., Core Operations Organization), simultaneously owning several critical operations initiatives while leading and managing your team members
- Partner with your Organization's leadership (e.g., Operations Leadership Team) to increase the percentage of their #1 Objective and Key Results that are green to 90% by Q4 2021
- Design and build, in partnership with your Organization's leadership team, any Operating System improvements, KPIs, or dashboard/reports to increase that Organization's productivity and effectiveness
- Partner with your Organization's leadership team and FP&A to build long-term plans and sign-off on the right strategic growth initiatives that will deliver on quarterly financial targets within budget (BvA of <2% of spend forecast)
- Partner with, build relationships, and manage up across your organization's leadership team to establish the cross-functional workflows needed to deliver on our operating plan
- Experienced Ops Leader - 8+ years of work experience (6+ with an MBA). Includes consulting/banking (2+ years) and 5+ years of operations for ops-intensive tech companies (must have business operations experience). Has managed a team within Business Operations, Program Management or Strategic Planning for at least 3 years. Made at least 3 new hires in the last 3 years.
- Master of Information - Establishes the right rules of engagement that promote effective and concise information synthesis/sharing/consumption, enabling teams and individuals to understand and respond in an effective manner to top company priorities.
- Strategic Planner - Proven ability to run and manage initiatives with large, cross-functional teams under tight deadlines through rigorous planning and ruthless prioritization.
- Structured Problem Solver - Able to create & apply frameworks to solve problems and bring the appropriate level of structure to improve the overall operational excellence of the organization.
- Results Oriented - Demonstrated results from growing a line of business, turning around a department, or large-scale reorganization especially in a fast-paced, constantly evolving environment.
- Builds Strong Teams - Able to build and manage lean teams with outsized company impact.
Skillz embraces diversity and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. As part of our commitment to diversifying our workforce, we do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, sex, gender, gender identity, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship, veteran status, or disability status, and we operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance .
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.