Head of Business Development, Media & Entertainment
17 days ago
Skillz is the leading mobile games platform connecting players in fair, fun, and meaningful competition.
The gaming industry is larger than movies, music, and books, with more than 2.7 billion gamers playing monthly and 10 million developers worldwide. Mobile is the fastest-growing segment of the gaming market, expected to increase from $68 billion in 2019 to $150 billion in 2025.
As the first publicly-traded mobile esports platform, Skillz has pioneered the future of the gaming industry. The Skillz platform helps developers build multi-million dollar franchises by enabling social competition in their games. Leveraging its patented technology, Skillz hosts billions of casual esports tournaments for millions of mobile players worldwide, and distributes millions in prizes each month.
Through its philanthropic initiatives, Skillz has harnessed the power of its platform to transform the way nonprofits engage with donors, enabling anyone with a mobile device to support causes such as the American Red Cross, Susan G. Komen, American Cancer Society, and NAACP by playing in Skillz tournaments.
Skillz has also earned recognition as one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies, a two-time winner of CNBC’s Disruptor 50, one of Forbes’ Next Billion-Dollar Startups, and the #1 fastest-growing company in America on the Inc. 5000.
Who we’re looking for :
Skillz is looking to hire experienced, highly skilled and motivated Business Development professionals to generate and maintain strategic partnerships. This role will report to the Vice President of Business Development. You will drive meaningful player acquisition for Skillz games through strategic partnerships by leveraging your network and ability to advance opportunities along a pipeline. You will work alongside cross-functional teams (Product, Legal, Finance, Leadership) to identify, execute and manage new distribution partnership opportunities. You are a person who is exceptionally skilled at building personal relationships and navigating complex organizations. You build trust easily and thrive in finding and establishing new business connections. You are thoughtful, personable and willing to do what it takes to successfully execute a partnership.
What You Will Do :
- Work with cross functional teams to identify new opportunities to expand the Skillz platform to acquire new players across specific verticals
- Identify and engage with key contacts and prospective partner organizations to define and craft new partnerships
- Work with existing Skillz partners within specific verticals to define, create and optimize player acquisition partnerships that generate meaningful user acquisition
- Manage a pipeline of potential and current opportunities
- Manage a small, but growing team of Business Development professionals
- Create accurate performance forecasts and deliver upon projections
- Report regularly to the team on the status of key opportunities and efforts
Your Skillz :
- BS / BA degree, MBA preferred
- 8-12 years of experience in Business Development in Media & Entertainment
- Background in investment banking, management consulting, sales is a plus
- Extensive people management experience
- A strong network in specific, target verticals
- Sound business judgment, problem solving and analytical problem solving skills
- Exceptional written and verbal skills
- Gaming and esports industry knowledge a plus
- Ability to manage complex contract negotiations
Skillz embraces diversity and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. As part of our commitment to diversifying our workforce, we do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, sex, gender, gender identity, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship, veteran status, or disability status, and we operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance .