Hard Surface Environment Outsource Lead
26 days ago
WHAT MAKES US EPIC?
At the core of Epic’s success are talented, passionate people. Epic prides itself on creating a collaborative, welcoming, and creative environment. Whether it’s building award-winning games or crafting engine technology that enables others to make visually stunning interactive experiences, we’re always innovating.
Being Epic means being a part of a team that continually strives to do right by our community and users. We’re constantly innovating to raise the bar of engine and game development.
What We Do
Push your artistic talent to the limit on a team of world-class environment, character, and concept artists who strive to innovate and inspire.
What You'll Do
Epic Games is looking for an experienced Outsource Lead to work with our internal art teams. We’re looking for a strong manager and artist willing to jump into an exciting new project under the Fortnite IP. The Outsource Lead will manage and collaborate with multidisciplinary artists - to prefab, fine-tune, and ingest the man-made architectural concepts for the POIs in the game. This person will have a balance of technical capability, creative thinking, and a strong ability to lead a team through the prefabrication workflow for our various POIs, assets, and props. By working closely with Art Lead and Sr. Art Director, you will be accountable for understanding the direction of the world, assisting with reviews, offering initial rounds of feedback, interfacing with Design Leads, and ensuring the team maintains a high-quality technical foundation and visual style.
In this role, you will
- Be highly creative - imagine and help drive the man-made architectural Art vision forward.
- Work with Discipline Leads and Outsource partners to keep progress going forward and facilitate engaging player experiences.
- Lead the development for a group of artists, collaborating with them to identify great ideas and steer them through the content development pipeline
- Understand the high-level goals of Environment and man-made POI direction and implementation.
- Assist the Art Lead with rounds of feedback to streamline workflow and process across all disciplines
- Ensure the core narrative goals and visual pillars of the game are being achieved
- Represent the Art Lead when necessary in meetings and discussions
What we're looking for
- Strong understanding of environment art for games, architecture, integration of natural and manmade environments, chaperoning the prefabrication to optimize and make the most of architectural sets and props that feel fresh and have mass appeal
- Experience working with designers around core game loops
- Desire to grow your leadership skills
- Experience shipping Games on multiple platforms, including mobile
- Deep understanding of performance and optimization trade-offs for best quality, smart approach to maximizing asset reuse
- Deep knowledge of technical art creation
- Strong understanding of art fundamentals, composition, iconic architecture, graphic design, lighting, multiple art styles, appeal
- Experience as a Lead overseeing an in-house or outsourcing art team, including providing effective feedback for outsourcing and contractors.
- Strong collaborative nature to partner with Sr Art Director and Discipline leads
- Low ego collaborative who can rally a team around a set goal
- Core understanding of what makes for an engaging player experience
- You’re user-focused, passionate, scrappy, solutions-focused, and innovative. These traits equal success at Epic and influence everything we do
Nice to have
- Willingness to learn new tools and software
- Unreal Engine experience
- Blueprint experience
- Scripting experience
- Pipeline and tools experience
- Houdini experience
EPIC JOB + EPIC BENEFITS = EPIC LIFE
Our intent is to cover all things that are medically necessary and improve the quality of life. We pay 100% of the premiums for both you and your dependents. Our coverage includes Medical, Dental, a Vision HRA, Long Term Disability, Life Insurance & a 401k with competitive match. We also offer a robust mental well-being program through Modern Health, which provides free therapy and coaching for employees & dependents.
Throughout the year, we celebrate our employees with events and company-wide paid breaks. We offer unlimited PTO and sick time and recognize individuals for seven years of employment with a paid sabbatical.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
Epic Games spans across 19 countries with 55 studios and 4,500+ employees globally. For over 25 years, we’ve been making award-winning games and engine technology that empowers others to make visually stunning games and 3D content that bring environments to life like never before. Epic’s award-winning Unreal Engine technology not only provides game developers the ability to build high-fidelity, interactive experiences for PC, console, mobile, and VR, it is also a tool being embraced by content creators across a variety of industries such as media and entertainment, automotive, and architectural design. As we continue to build our Engine technology and develop remarkable games, we strive to build teams of world-class talent.
Like what you hear? Come be a part of something Epic!
Epic Games deeply values diverse teams and an inclusive work culture, and we are proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. Learn more about our Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Policy here.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Epic does not accept any unsolicited resumes or approaches from any unauthorized third party (including recruitment or placement agencies) (i.e., a third party with whom we do not have a negotiated and validly executed agreement). We will not pay any fees to any unauthorized third party. Further details on these matters can be found here.