This job might no longer be available.
Graphic Team Lead - UI
9 days ago
As a Graphic Team Lead - UI at Ubi MTL, you’ll be both a hands-on developer and a direction-providing mentor as you work with a team of UI artists to transform high-level gameplay ideas into functional UI designs. You’ll oversee and coordinate your team in building and integrating the visuals that smoothly guide players as they navigate a game. Thanks to your understanding of the UI development process along with its (at times, many) technical and artistic constraints, you’re go-to person for advice and a point of contact for all of production. You’re able to step in to coach your team, find solutions to setbacks, and make use of space to create a seamless and intuitive gameplay experience for players to enjoy.
What you’ll do
- Partner with core team members to understand the game’s overall vision, art direction, and visual identity.
- Participate in prototyping to experiment with designs & explore opportunities.
- Support your team in creating interface assets (menus, animation, HUD, icons, buttons, world maps, etc.).
- Meet with your UI artists to assign tasks, establish priorities, discuss progress, provide feedback, etc.
- Find balance between artistic aspects and technical constraints & find solutions to fix buggy features.
- Integrate interface assets using our proprietary tools and engines, with the help of programmers.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams (design, art, animation, etc.) to ensure consistency to achieve quality.
- Carry out the annual evaluations of your UI artists.
- Stay up to date on UI best practices, tools, and trends to refine your skills & refresh your knowledge.
- Participate in recruitment to build your UI team & foster their growth.
What you bring
- A degree in Digital Media, Computational Arts, Graphic Design, or equivalent (or related training)
- Around 5 years of visual design experience (or related experience) + 2 years of leadership experience
- Knowledge of design tools (Photoshop, Illustrator, and After Effects), game engines (e.g. Unity or Unreal), game limitations, and prototyping tools *
- Solid understanding of usability principals & information architecture
- A highly empathetic, creative, collaborative, and innovative spirit
- Excellent mentorship, communication, organizational, time management, interpersonal, and presentation skills
- Flexibility and a whole lot of resourcefulness
- Motivation to reach out for feedback and adapt to it
- A sharp eye for UX design + a passion for visual communication
*Knowledge of project management software (e.g. Jira), 3D software (e.g. 3DS Max or Maya) + familiarity with scripting language and shader writing = very nice to have
What to send our way
- Your CV, highlighting your education, experience, and skills
- A portfolio of your best work, showcasing your UI skills (attach images or send us a link to your personal website or online portfolio)
A real live person will review your application. In this case, it’s our talent acquisition specialist Alexis (he/him). As he learns more about you through your profile, get to know him through the video below.
At Ubisoft Montreal, a preeminent developer of video games located in Montreal’s dynamic Mile-End neighbourhood since 1997, we offer a work environment unique in the industry for allowing you to build and cultivate games that are part of critically acclaimed, iconic AAA franchises of international repute.
When you join Ubi Montreal, you enter a community of passionate, extraordinary developers connected by their need to innovate, to be creative and to work with the latest technology. You’ll discover a world where employees enjoy constant career advancement, a supportive learning environment, and competitive compensation packages.
More than anything, at Ubi Montreal, you will regularly ship a variety of big, quality titles – Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry, Rainbow Six, Watch_Dogs, For Honor and… well we can’t disclose all our secrets just yet… – and work with some of the most talented people in the industry.
At Ubisoft, you can come as you are.We embrace diversity in all its forms. We’re committed to fostering a work environment that is inclusive and respectful of all differences.