This job might no longer be available.
21 days ago
About Playable Worlds
Playable Worlds is a team of talented and creative game industry professionals working together on a sandbox MMO built for the cloud. Led by Raph Koster (Ultima Online; Star Wars Galaxies) Playable Worlds offers a collaborative and diverse work environment, competitive pay and benefits, and an opportunity to create new kinds of gameplay and experiences in online worlds that feel real and engaging.
All positions at Playable Worlds are currently remote, but we plan to open one office location in the future as circumstances allow.
This Graphic Designer position is responsible for evaluating, curating, resizing, and repurposing other people’s art as well as making some assets of your own. You will be carefully briefed (maybe even indoctrinated) into our unique marketing approach and will advocate for the Marketing Department while partnering with the Art Department. In a normal week, you will work with both the Marketing and Art Departments making art assets for the game. As you identify assets that would be useful to Marketing, you will pass along assets, usually reformatted, often shortened, and basic information about how to use the asset.
The ideal candidate will have a background in graphic design or art media. You are comfortable with Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects, Etc.) or similar 2D software and equivalent motion graphics software. Ideally you can pose and light figures in 3D software to create renders. Must be versatile and able to tackle many kinds of art tasks and assets.
Applicants must be able to provide examples of their work and a test may be required.
Essential Job Functions
- Produce all required assets for marketing activities, from screenshots to icons to PowerPoint documents.
- Help set a visual “look” for marketing assets that match the game’s artistic style.
- Design and create art to be used in advertisements, promotional materials, and marketing materials.
- Create emojis, icons, stickers, and streaming assets.
- Design email blasts, social media assets, and even t-shirts and merchandise.
- Attend Art Department meetings and standups.
- Participate in Art Department sprints, making assets for the game as your schedule permits.
- Pose and light figures in 3D software to create renders.
- Maintain a current understanding of the game’s art and art direction, and adjust current art projects and future plans to stay in accordance with the game.
- Collaborate with Marketing Director to understand and stay current with changing marketing needs.
- Create digital paintings, vector art, and motion graphics.
- Design and create art to be used in the game or to assist with workload of the Art Department, as directed by Marketing Director in conjunction with the Art Manager and/or Art Director.
- Assist and participate in sprint planning, sprints, and end-of-sprint activities.
- Experience level: 2-3 years of professional experience in Graphic Design.
- Education level: College degree in Art, Design, or similar, preferred but not required.
- Capable of taking assets designed to be used within a video game and refactor them to be presentable on the Web and Discord.
- Intermediate or higher level of skill in Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects, Etc.) or similar 2D software and equivalent motion graphics software.
- Ability to pose and light figures in 3D software (Maya or Blender) to create renders.
- Versatility in art styles and the ability to tackle many kinds of art tasks and assets.
- Ability to prioritize a variety of tasks in a manner that enables timely completion.
Bonus Points for Any of These
- Game development art experience.
- Fan of online multiplayer games.
- Knowledge of Agile development practices and tools, such as Jira, Basecamp, Trello, etc.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
- Playable Worlds is headquartered in San Marcos, California. All positions are currently remote due to the pandemic.