Graduate Designer Generalist
17 days ago
Halfbrick is a game developing studio that is globally recognised for its success with phone games such as Fruit Ninja and Jetpack Joyride. Previously headquartered in Brisbane, Halfbrick is now fully remote and present all around the world. Halfbrick is one of Australia’s longest running and most successful game developers. Our success is built on a culture that encourages passion, enthusiasm, a willingness to learn and an openness towards trying different approaches to how we make games.
Why you’ll love it
We believe our culture is a leading factor to our success and helps us to attract and retain the best talent! We work hard to foster an intensely collaborative, fun, and creative environment, with training and professional growth opportunities at our forefront. We strongly believe and endorse equal opportunity employment and value diversity at Halfbrick. We’re a tight knit crew who celebrate self-expression, and hey, some perks never hurt either.
Here are just a few of the things we like to offer our Bricks:
- Salary sacrificing.
- Career development and mentorship.
- Freedom to work on games you’re interested in.
- 100% company transparency.
- Mental health support.
- Flexible working hours.
- Part time work options.
- Fully remote working.
- We hire globally and all our opportunities are available world-wide.
- Salary reviews.
- Open management without bureaucracy.
- Charity and Meditation leave.
- Loads of social events.
- Awesome rewards and recognition opportunities.
About the opportunity
It’s a little-known fact that a lot of our Brick's have joined us as recent graduates as we know the value they bring! We are geared up and excited to welcome a new wave of graduates and we hope that you’re up for the challenge!
As a graduate you will join Halfbrick Bootcamp for 6 months where you will work with other graduates under the mentorship of our CEO. You will learn crucial skills in creating games that people remember for a lifetime and help us transform mobile phone entertainment through quality content and innovative ideas. You will be given the opportunity to grow inside a friendly and professional team of hard-working, dedicated, and incredibly talented individuals.
The remuneration for this role is $60,000 AUD. Watch our video to learn more about the graduate bootcamp!
As we welcome you into our tight knit community, we promise to offer you ample opportunities to grow and do your best work, and ultimately love what you’re doing each day. In return, we ask you to:
- Ability to design levels.
- Core gameplay design (e.g. control systems, player mechanics, game balancing).
- Game economy design.
- Experience with rapid game prototyping (or game jams).
- Experience in playtesting and gathering user feedback: you will be doing this a lot at Halfbrick, so having experience with observing, asking questions, and actioning the feedback will help.
- Experience working in teams: designers often have to give direction and it’s important to know your team’s strengths and weaknesses
- Experience on game projects: this is probably the most important part. We really want to see that you’re applying game design and gaining experience through that. It doesn’t matter if the games aren’t amazing or original - we just want to see that you’re dedicated. The more the better! And please include what role you had in working on the game
- Any sort of scripting or programming ability is a great bonus!
- We don’t expect the grads to have industry experience but showing experience in those areas in uni projects (or personal projects) is what we look for.
- Demonstrate capability and high-quality work.
- Quickly disseminate and adopt new processes and methodology.
- Work with and assist your peers to develop world class content, with a focus on innovation and creativity.
- Question and seek information from peers.
- Actively participate in creative meetings, contributing viable ideas.
- Constructively contribute to team culture through positive attitude.
- Articulate concepts and ideas in a clear and unambiguous way.
- Draw upon personal experience to determine best approach for task completion with an emphasis on reducing cycles of iteration and churn.
- Check own work for quality and accuracy.
- Most importantly, help create awesome games!
The successful candidate
Perhaps you’ve spent one too many nights up late gaming… Possibly you have a vendetta for fruit… Either way, you love games and more specifically, you love our games and you want to be part of creating something special! If you think you have what it takes to raise our talent bar, then you're exactly what we're looking for.
At Halfbrick, we have an emphasis on generalists to help us reach our goals - people who are explorers and learners and have a diverse knowledge to draw from (or interested in obtaining one). We understand and appreciate specialized talent but we encourage all of our Bricks to generalize their skillset so they can collaborate effectively and see the bigger picture. And don't worry, you don't have to already be a generalist - becoming one is as easy as:
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
- Saying yes to new opportunities
- Dabbling in different things
- Never stop improving (there's always new things to learn)
- Mind your gaps (identify what you're missing and bridge the gaps)