General Manager, China
6 months ago
Improbable believes in a future where new, virtual worlds will augment human experience and become as meaningful, lasting and rich as the physical world. We call this the Multiversal Self and believe games are the basis of the future virtual worlds.
Developers face a variety of risks in game development – from game design to production speed to launch scale. With SpatialOS, we aim to offer the next generation game development technology that helps reduce those risks and enables innovation that is vital to the future of games.
We believe China is leading the world in gaming, and that the next generation of game worlds will be developed by the prosperous Chinese Game Development Community. We are looking for talented individuals to join our Shanghai Office, our core hub and headquarters for APAC Operations.
As a member of global leadership team, working closely with Asia Pacific CEO to co-ordinate, direct, motivate, develop the China organization to ensure that the company’s China operation attain or excel its strategic objectives and commercial targets. The right candidate with demonstrated capability and performance would have the opportunity to be the successor to Asia Pacific CEO who is responsible for entire Asia Pacific operations.
- Be responsible for leading a cross-functional team in China located in multiple offices and seek to rapidly scale up company’s China business and grow Shanghai office to be the regional headquarter for Asia Pacific.
- Define the strategic objectives for China together with the global leadership team. Aligned with the strategic direction of HQ, to develop and execute strategic plan for China, by bringing his/her deep understanding of the China gaming market and ecosystem and understanding of Improbable's technology underpinning the product; Provide clear, practical leadership in a fast-paced environment of China as the company work towards the company’s commercial objectives.
- Lead and drive the business development efforts. Identifying and prioritising development partners in China and crafting business opportunities with partners; Ensure the business development team achieve commercial objectives.
- Manage the corporate functions including Finance, Legal, People and Talent, as well as having overall responsibility for the local Marketing teams.
- Be responsible for the local Product Development teams, while leverage global product development expertise, to best serve the needs of fast paced China market.
- Work closely with other offices in APAC and also with Global functional leads.
- Be responsible for the management in China, leading the personal management and pastoral care for China teams. In addition, the person will guide their technical skills development together with their global functional lead.
- As the leader in China, be responsible for leading the expansion of China organization, and recruit and develop a team of high caliber and spirts.
Work Experience & Personal Traits
- Experience managing high-caliber, cross-functional teams. Preferably including Software-as-a-service (SaaS/PaaS) product development; The company is breaking new ground and needs a world-class leader.
- A nature leader who commands strong business acumen, strategy thinking and executive presence, and can win respect quickly by internal and external senior stakeholders.
- Excellent organizational skills, as well as excellent written and verbal communication skills, which will enable him or her work effectively with leaders globally and team locally.
- Strong business and organizational savvy and the ability to bring exceptional business judgement and creativity to his/her daily role.
- Ability to work concurrently on a variety of cross-functional projects, mitigate cross-team dependencies, effectively prioritise, and work under demanding deadlines to deliver overall business goals.
- A passion for building and developing high-performance team with happy, challenged and curious employees.
- High levels of emotional intelligence and a natural affinity for building empathy.Full professional proficiency or greater in both Mandarin and English.
- Experience of working in the games industry and on/with Platform as a Service products is strongly preferred.
- Track record of delivering on complex software engineering projects is a strong plus.
- Natural appreciation of best-practice for software delivery.
The best ideas are often the least expected and require new ways of thinking; that’s why our teams at Improbable are made up of an incredible range of talented people. Improbable is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, colour, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.