Games User Researcher
9 days ago
PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play — it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognised as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Sony Interactive Entertainment, PlayStation Studios is looking for a user researcher to join its growing internal user research department in London (UK). This is an exceptional opportunity to help our teams create world class games by providing reliable & actionable feedback on game experience via rigorous research with consumers.
The successful candidate will collaborate with the teams behind exclusive PlayStation titles such as Marvel’s Spider-Man, Horizon: Zero Dawn, Detroit: Become Human, and Sackboy: A Big Adventure. Using our world class facility and the latest game testing methods, you will gather insights to help improve the quality and consumer relevance of our award winning titles.
What you’ll be doing:
- Collaborate with game developers to effectively fit high impact user feedback into their development processes
- Plan and design research activities that support the development of the games
- Carry out research activities including moderating tests, observing users, analysing findings and writing reports
- Communicate findings with the development team to develop a deep understanding of user behaviour and needs
- Work with more senior team members to evangelise user research internally and externally
- Assist the research team in improving processes and methods
What we are looking for:
- You will have a studied HCI, Interaction Design or a related discipline such as Cognitive Psychology to degree level including practical experience of moderating tests with users.
- A masters level degree or higher would be preferable.
- A passionate interest video games and applying research techniques to gaming is essential.
- Previous commercial experience of usability testing is desirable, but not essential for the entry level positions.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills; presenting information concisely and effectively to people at all levels of the organization.
- Good negotiation and influencing skills and be able to work well with cross-functional teams – e.g. game designers, producers, engineers and artists.
- Good organisation skills with the ability to prioritise tasks effectively in a fast-paced environment.
- An excellent attention to detail and a strong commitment to quality, both in terms of your own work & in improving product quality through usability testing.
- A commitment to reliability, with a clear understanding & communication of the limitations of the research results.
- A good grounding in HCI and usability methods and excellent analytical ability; able to identify the key problems which need to be addressed.
- Ability to be open-minded and forward thinking and actively maintain an interest in the field; keeping up-to-date with developing tools, techniques and gaming testing methodologies.
- An understanding of the game development process & the role & limitations of usability testing at each development stage is an advantage but not essential.
- Discretionary bonus opportunity
- Private Medical Insurance
- Dental Scheme
- London Allowance (if applicable)
- 25 days holiday per year
- On Site Gym
- Subsidised Café
- Free soft drinks
- On site bar
- Access to cycle garage and showers
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender reassignment), race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.