Games Lead Artist
10 days ago
Keywords Studios is the ultimate destination for talented individuals looking to make their mark in the world of AAA game development. With a global presence and an unrivalled reputation, we are trusted by 24 of the top 25 gaming companies worldwide, making us the go-to collaborator for the industry's biggest titles.
Joining our team means becoming part of a network of 70+ studios across 26 countries, where over 12,000 experts come together to deliver sector-leading 360° services. From ideation and technical co. development to art, QA/localization, marketing, and community engagement, we cover every stage of game development and beyond.
As an integral part of our tightly integrated yet truly global network, you'll have the opportunity to work alongside industry-leading professionals who bring best-in-class experience, expertise, and technology to each project. Our follow-the-sun workflows ensure we can deliver at the speed you need.
At Keywords Studios, we believe in the power of imagination, ambition, and the desire to succeed. Join our global team and unlock the full potential of your skills.
About the role:
We are looking for a skilled and visionary lead artist with a passion for pushing boundaries, a strong portfolio of innovative work, and a knack for guiding artistic direction.
- Work with the Art Director to ensure the artists hit the client's aesthetic targets and that we demonstrate a high bar of craft excellence.
- Create high quality benchmark assets to inspire and guide the art team and demonstrate responsibility for work quality and processes.
- Communicate regularly with the client's art team, building relationships and reassuring them of our ability to hit their goals.
- Instigate regular reviews of artwork and provide clear concise feedback, to ensure high quality and creative cohesion.
- Ensure all artists have the appropriate reference and resources to complete their tasks and support the team with resolving technical issues and fixing bugs.
- Help to establish pipelines, define budgets and document best practices.
- Work with technical artists and engineers in streamlining our tools and processes for increasing art efficiency.
- Champion streamlined processes, ensuring artwork meets all technical targets and frame rate restrictions.
- Create concise documentation of all aspects of the art pipeline processes and provide tutorials and technical guides to improve efficiency.
- Ensure all artwork adheres to guidelines regarding naming conventions, texture layering structures, folders etc.
- Self driven, autonomous and confident, inspire colleagues to flourish and help promote a culture of collaborative innovation.
- Keep up to date with industry advancements and technologies and share knowledge with the art team, actively contributing fresh ideas and encouraging the team to learn.
- Have a full understanding of the scope and complexity of the artwork required on the project.
- Alongside production, help to establish priority of work, schedule the art workload, monitor output and promptly advise art leads and production of any resourcing concerns and risks.
- Lead, mentor and manage artists, providing coaching and nurturing to encourage their continued growth.
- Carry out inductions and probationary reviews for new starters to ensure competence in the full range of tasks required in the role and feedback to the art leadership regarding employee performance for all team members.
- Excellent artistic ability and meticulous attention to detail.
- Highly proficient in Maya/Max/Blender, Substance and Unreal.
- Good understanding of fundamental art principles; colour and lighting theory, composition and staging techniques.
- A confident art leader with excellent verbal and written communication skills, you have the ability to articulate visual ideas with clarity and conviction and provide clear feedback and guidance.
- Practical and methodical approach to both technical and creative problem-solving and experience of mentoring other artists.
- Demonstrate good leadership skills of positivity, enthusiasm, leading by example & active listening.
- Be a collaborative team player, have a professional, flexible and calm approach and the ability to adapt with change.
- Excellent time-management and organisational skills and the ability to deliver quality work within fixed time constraints.
- Passion for staying up to date with latest technology and embracing new game art techniques.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
- 25 days holiday (+ bank holidays + up to 5 days extra for length of service)
- Company Pension Scheme
- Flexible working hours
- Private Medical Insurance Scheme (including dental) & Eye Care Scheme
- Employee Share Scheme
- Anti-crunch ethos - an amazingly professional, fun and supportive working environment!
- Income Protection
- Annual Bonus – be rewarded for great teamwork!
- Free Parking
- Tech and Bike Scheme
- Company Share Scheme
- Company Socials, Project Launch/Wrap Parties + Annual d3t Events
- Breakout Areas – filled with perks such as games, BBQ area, complimentary snacks to suit all dietary preferences etc.
- We offer a flexible working policy - this role will ideally be hybrid or studio based.