Gameplay Development Manager, New World
19 days ago
Amazon is all-in on games, and our mission is to be the most customer-obsessed company in the games industry. At Amazon Game Studios, we’re creating compelling games like New World. New World is an Open World MMO that pits players against the haunted wilderness of Aeternum, a mysterious island in the twilight of the Age of Exploration. Success in New World ultimately depends on a player’s ability to conquer not only rival players, but Aeternum itself, as it unleashes undead legions, hell-bent on purging them from its shores. New World stands apart from other games in the genre by offering massive siege battles, thrilling supernatural invasions and a stunning and diverse natural setting.
As a leader on our New World team, you will dive deep to create new experiences and opportunities for connection at massive scale. As a Gameplay Development Manager, you will manage a team of software engineers focused on gameplay features. You and your team will collaborate with engineers, designers, and artists to create clear, compelling content that contributes directly to the core of New World. You will be responsible for delivering game systems and workflows, achieving MMO performance and scale goals, and facilitating the testing required to deliver a high-quality result.
Key job responsibilities
A day in the lifeAmazon Games applies the principles of Amazonian culture to the world of game design. We have a diverse team of talented, creative people pairing their love of making games with the unique strengths that come with being part of Amazon. Across all of our teams and locations, we are united by a common purpose: to share great gaming experiences with customers around the world. We believe in a future where everyone is a gamer and everyone can create, compete, collaborate and connect through games, and we are looking for the right people to help us build that future. With the power of Twitch and AWS at your fingertips, you will have the chance to innovate in gameplay, creativity, marketing, and technology, while working alongside some of the smartest and most creative minds in the industry.About the teamInclusive Culture, Work/Life Balance, & Career GrowthWe embrace our differences and are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We offer ten employee-led affinity groups with 190 global chapters, innovative benefits, and annual and ongoing learning experiences (including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences). Our team also puts a high value on work-life balance and offers flexible working hours. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. Additionally, our team is dedicated to supporting you with mentorship and pathways for ongoing development. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and are building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and promotes career choice.
- Be responsible for designing, developing, deploying, and maintaining advanced online multiplayer related gaming technology focused on gameplay.
- Participate in technical discussions such as technical design reviews and code reviews.
- Enable a team of developers to build great gameplay on a massive scale and foster cross-team collaboration.
- Manage a team of engineers helping them grow their skills and advance their careers.
- Solve novel, ambiguously defined, difficult problems.
- Be a champion for the user: Insist on the highest standards and create functional and well-designed technology that delights our players.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or Computer Engineering (or equivalent) experience.
- 8+ years of professional software engineering experience, working on multi-discipline teams.
- 8+ years of Game industry experience.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.Our compensation reflects the cost of labor across several US geographic markets. The base pay for this position ranges from $148,000/year in our lowest geographic market up to $287,700/year in our highest geographic market. Pay is based on a number of factors including market location and may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. Amazon is a total compensation company. Dependent on the position offered, equity, sign-on payments, and other forms of compensation may be provided as part of a total compensation package, in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits. Applicants should apply via our internal or external career site.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
- Shipped large scale multiplayer service-backed games.
- Experience with network performance profiling and optimization.
- Deep knowledge of asset pipeline and runtime representation.
- Comprehensive video game engineering skills including spatial reasoning, networking and pragmatic optimization.