Gameplay Camera Designer
1 day ago
Crystal Dynamics, a part of the Square Enix family and the studio behind Marvel’s Avengers and the award-winning Tomb Raider franchise, is constantly on the hunt for top-tier gaming talent worldwide. We pride ourselves on attracting and developing the best talent available to concept, create, and contribute to the most exciting projects in gaming. Our 25-plus years of game development experience, as well as our combined AAA games industry pedigree, has established us as one of best studios to work for today.
Benefits for this full-time position include a competitive salary, 100% employer-paid medical, dental, and vision insurance options and plenty of days of paid time-off.
This Gameplay Camera Designer, working under the Lead Player Designer, will be responsible for designing, implementing, and fine-tuning the gameplay cameras and custom level camera and cinematic transitions to ensure a player's smooth and seamless journey through a rich and epic narrative experience. A successful Camera Designer will be able to collaborate with Engineers, Animators and other Designers to create tools and camera solutions that will positively impact the player experience and create exciting moments within our dynamic worlds.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Work with the lead player designer to understand the direction for gameplay and solve how to best present gameplay to the player.
- Work with system designers to ensure coordination between gameplay systems and their on-screen representation.
- Conceptualize, present, and execute ideas within a schedule, while actively participating in technical and design problem solving.
- Coordinate directly with representatives of multiple departments to solve design challenges, create exceptional narrative storytelling, remove production bottlenecks and clearly communicate design needs.
- Evaluate and initiate processes, tools, and camera features pertaining to title/franchise specific camera design.
Competencies, Skills & Knowledge
- Ability to work well within a team environment.
- Ability to execute assigned work within the project as a whole and coordinate with other Designers to ensure a seamless player experience.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills.
- Current on industry trends as it relates to modern game design and camera concepts.
- Ability to document ideas concisely in a provided specification format.
- Ability to work closely with all project disciplines to ensure clear communication, troubleshooting and efficiency.
- Capacity to ramp up quickly with custom toolsets and deliver assets within the confines of real time engine constraints and programming demands.
- 3-5 years of game design experience in a camera design role, specifically for 3rd person action adventure titles.
- At least 1 project shipped for a AAA console title in a design capacity.
- Demonstrated understanding of scripting systems required.
Crystal Dynamics is an EOE and M/F/D/V employer
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.