Kano is looking for an experienced Narrative Designer to bring their expert writing and game design skills to an exciting new product under development. You’ll have the opportunity to take ownership in the narrative process from initial concept to final product. If you’re a storytelling specialist with a strong understanding of game design (including level design, core gameplay and progression systems) we want to hear from you.
Please include samples that reflect the style, tone and particularly the modes of storytelling seen in our previous releases (ex. Fubar: Just Give’r) . Your samples need to demonstrate you can write the kind of games we make.
*Although this position is open to remote applicants, preference will be given to those residing in B.C.
**Qualified applicants may be asked to complete a Narrative Design/Writing test.
- Structure and write story outlines, character-driven scenes with dialogue, and ancillary copy within tight deadlines, owning the process from concept to final product.
- Communicate the narrative vision of the game verbally and in writing,
- Proactively contribute in brainstorming sessions by pitching ideas for on-brand story arcs and quests within art and design scope.
- Integrate inventive writing with design to support both creative and monetization objectives.
- Work directly with Product, Production, Art, and Development to coordinate all facets of Narrative with F2P mobile business goals.
- Write quest dialogue, ambient dialogue, story outlines and faction documents;
- Support teams in our studio with their narrative needs while advocating for the game’s emotional arc.
- Ensure a consistent narrative voice and style throughout the game
- Design and implement non-sequential elements that tie progression and overall player experience together
- 2+ years Game Writing experience, or equivalent (ideally at an Indie Game studio, having shipped at least one F2P game title);
- General knowledge of F2P mobile game design pipelines and current market trends.
- Understanding of how audio, art, level design and other disciplines can affect narrative and how they can be effectively leveraged to deliver a more comprehensive and engaging story
- Knowledge of interactive storytelling, character development, scriptwriting, and user engagement
- Self direction and prioritization skills and a proven ability to thrive in a highly dynamic and technical environment
- Strong inter-disciplinary & collaboration skills, including verbal and written skills
NICE TO HAVE
- Live Ops experience.
- Experience with Unity
Bootstrapped in 2008, we have been a profitable and growing game studio for over a decade. With hits like Free Rider HD and Mob Wars LCN (Top 100 grossing app on Facebook), and our recently announced FUBAR: Just Give'r, we hope to contribute to the world by connecting people through play.
Locally owned and headquartered in downtown Victoria, BC, we believe in giving small teams of talented people challenging problems and getting out of their way. That’s why we look for the best and brightest to join our team; people who have talent, vision, and commitment.
Check out this article If you'd like to get some insight into our hiring process, our employee manual to understand how and why we do things the way we do, and this fun little video for an intro to the team!
- 2020 Great Place to Work - Best Workplaces in Canada - Less than 100 Employees
- 2019 Great Place to Work - British Columbia
- 2019 VIATEC Employer of the Year - Finalist
- 2018 VIATEC Company of the Year (11-49 Employees) - Winner
- 2018 VIATEC Employer of the Year - Finalist
- 2017 VIATEC Company of the Year (11-49 employees) - Finalist
- 2014 VIATEC Employer of the Year - Winner
- A results-driven company with a compassionate culture
- Health, dental and vision benefits
- Uncapped profit share program
- Opportunity to work on game projects that are enjoyed by millions of players worldwide!
- Ability to make a difference. Have an idea? Talk directly with leadership about it instead of running through layers of bureaucracy
*Kano is an equal opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants without regard to race, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, national origin, age, disability, medical condition, religion, marital status or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law*