This job might no longer be available.
14 days ago
At BioWare, our mission is to create worlds of adventure, conflict, and companionship that inspire you to become the hero of your story. Our teams inspire creativity using tech and tools such as the Frostbite engine and work with thousands of developers across EA’s network of studios. We are passionate about games and their potential as a creative medium to reach and inspire people through emotion, artistry, and engaging storytelling. If you share this passion, this is an amazing opportunity to help shape the next generation of gaming.
BioWare Austin is currently searching for a talented Writer to create compelling interactive narratives and memorable characters.
- Developing engaging storylines in a collaborative and dynamic environment.
- Collaborating with the Creative Director to guide overall project story direction.
- Creating branching interactive narratives that are driven by player choices and feature exciting, memorable, and diverse characters.
- Maintaining detailed documentation of plotlines, characters, and choices for reference by other departments.
- Implementing storyline edits based on creative feedback, design changes, and shifting content schedules.
- Experience in creative writing, plot design, and especially writing dialogue to be performed by actors.
- 5+ years of experience in narrative content creation in a collaborative studio or related environment (example: the creation of high-quality mod content in released games).
- Ability to deliver original stories on a weekly deadline.
- Ability to write from a variety of voices and perspectives (different genders, backgrounds, ages, etc.)
- Willingness to work under direction while maintaining creativity.
- Excellent written English skills.
- Strong ability to communicate.
- Highly organized – the ability to manage multiple story arcs and their relationships with each other.
How do I apply for this role?
- Submit your current resume and writing sample.
- The writing sample should include a brief Story Outline for a simple in-game quest, and an Interactive Dialogue Scene set within that quest.
- Other examples of past works (non-game screenplays, short stories, novels/novellas, etc) may be referenced (such as in a portfolio page) but will not fulfill the writing sample required to apply for this position.
- Story Outline should be:
- 1000 words or less, set within an existing BioWare franchise.
- Describe the plotline and any key characters in an exciting and evocative way.
- Feature a choice, complication, twist, or reveal and its impact on the characters and storyline.
- Demonstrate player agency within the plot.
- Interactive Dialogue Scene should be:
- Under 5000 words.
- Composed using Twine or a linked Microsoft Word document.
- Feature engaging characters with distinct, memorable, and fun personalities.
- Demonstrate the choice, complication, twist, or reveal described in the Story Outline.